Who's more comfortable holding eye contact? Male or Female?

In your experience, do you think women have more ease holding eye contact while speaking to you or is it men who have less difficulty looking at you in the eyes during interactions?

Think back several years and give me an explanation if you can.

My debut in question-asking.

I'm asking for generalizations here guys! I know no individual is the same, but there has been a trend in my past experience. Women have often had more ease at looking at me when talking, like it was natural. But guys generally had more difficulty.

Favorite Answer

What you say is true. Women are somehow very comfortable with looking a guy in the eyes.

it is assumed that a truthful person will look you in the eye because they have "nothing to hide" whereas a dishonest person will not to hide their lies. it seems that women are the reverse of that logic.

i've known many women who have looked me dead in the face and told me a straight up KING KONG lie. and they don't blink when they do it. which is chilling.

Source(s): if the eyes are the window into a persons soul how come when i look in their eyes i see nothing but my own reflection?
  • Karen

You have to become unaware of how long to engage in eye contact, otherwise the breaking of such or the staring for a pre-set amount of time looks contrived. Let it come naturally. I, too, have been conscious of that when I talk to people. Where as once upon a time I would not look at people in the eye. Since I didn't want people to think I had a shattered self-esteem or was a psycho, I made a conscious decision to let it become natural. It is a process, like all parts in mastering the art of conversation, but it can be done in a way that is not only great but positive reinforcement, assuring the listener/talker that you are involved in the discourse.

In my experience, I think women are. Most girls I speak with will meet my eyes for most of the conversation. When talking to boys they tend to look away and glance at me every now and then. But maybe they are just shy when speaking to girls, I'm not sure. I was raised that the polite thing to do is to give someone your full attention when listening to them, so I always use eye contact. Sometimes I feel a little awkward because I become unsure if I'm making the other person uncomfortable. I've had a friend once tell me I creeped her out because it felt like I was looking into her soul. But that's just a random extra

:)

• Q

Congrats on the debut. Women. Perhaps becsuse women often try to connect more and because eye contact between men can sometimes be seen as a sign of aggression, so men avoid it more.

Ummmmm well I'm a girl and it depends on the guy I'm talking to, if it's a guy I like I don't like holding eye contact because I get too distracted so I look away. Guys do it too. I think it's equal on both sides honestly, it just depends on who you're talking to. But generally guys are more fidgety than girls so maybe them if we're speaking generally.

Source(s): My head

Hi,

I don't trust laser surgery. I'm trying to improve my vision naturally with simple eye exercises. This is the method I'm following http://www.goobypls.com/r/rd.asp?gid=413

Check it out.

I'm a female and I find eye contact to be very easy to hold. In someway it seems respectful and confident when guys hold eye contact but for me it comes naturally.

• I can't hold eye contact with a guy to save my life. I feel like they know something I don't. I start stuttering and fidgeting (I even do this with guys I'm not attracted to).

Source(s): teen girl

i'd same males of course. females are more insecure with theirselves, mainly because appearence is just likely waaay more important to them. and they like to hold in their feelings when it comes to feeling a type of good way about someone. so eye contact is likely very hard to do for them.

• CAB

It comes down to individuals more than half the worlds population vs the other half.