Is a career in Occupational Therapy worth perusing?

I currently work with Autistic children and am thinking about getting my masters in Occupational Therapy. I really enjoy working with these children but want to make a career out of it. I am currently in a position where I'm basically a counselor for these kids in a school setting. I'm looking for a rewarding hands on career. If anyone out there has any advice or if you are an occupational therapist let me know what you think!

Favorite Answer

That's great that you work with children with autism. How about volunteering (or at least job shadowing/observing) at an OT department(s) of a pediatric hospital(s) or a similar setting of which you currently work. Perhaps a school for those with developmental disorders is another setting to observe.

Before taking pre-req classes for OT school, please do observe in the *various* areas of OT, including a physical rehab hospital for those with Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI), spinal cord injury/paralysis, stroke ("brain attack") which is a type of brain injury, other neurological disorders, hip/shoulder/knee replacement, amputated limbs or such - nursing home/long-term care facility.

Just an fyi that "human anatomy" usually does NOT transfer to other schools or programs. Instead, most schools prefer "general" anatomy & physiology, so it's best to check with the individual program(s) beforehand as not all pre-req courses may transfer.

With regard to schooling (for any major), please *avoid* those private overly priced For-profit schools. Their course credits usually do NOT transfer to other schools.

Plenty of openings

http://www.indeed.com/jobs?q=Occupational+Therapy+...

UCLA has a listing for one - couldn't fill it for the last three months.

Appointments at the student health for OT - 1 1/2 month waiting list.

• Heidi

I have a great deal of respect for occupational and physical therapists. They help people. They have helped me, so that I can continue to be productive and feed my family. They are wonderful people, and you cannot do wrong embarking on this endeavor.

Considering the pay of $49,898 - $91,652, yes it is.