Is a career in Occupational Therapy worth perusing?

I currently work with Autistic children and am thinking about getting my masters in Occupational Therapy. I really enjoy working with these children but want to make a career out of it. I am currently in a position where I'm basically a counselor for these kids in a school setting. I'm looking for a rewarding hands on career. If anyone out there has any advice or if you are an occupational therapist let me know what you think!

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

That's great that you work with children with autism. How about volunteering (or at least job shadowing/observing) at an OT department(s) of a pediatric hospital(s) or a similar setting of which you currently work. Perhaps a school for those with developmental disorders is another setting to observe.

Before taking pre-req classes for OT school, please do observe in the *various* areas of OT, including a physical rehab hospital for those with Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI), spinal cord injury/paralysis, stroke ("brain attack") which is a type of brain injury, other neurological disorders, hip/shoulder/knee replacement, amputated limbs or such - nursing home/long-term care facility.

Just an fyi that "human anatomy" usually does NOT transfer to other schools or programs. Instead, most schools prefer "general" anatomy & physiology, so it's best to check with the individual program(s) beforehand as not all pre-req courses may transfer.

With regard to schooling (for any major), please *avoid* those private overly priced For-profit schools. Their course credits usually do NOT transfer to other schools.

• 7 years ago

Plenty of openings

http://www.indeed.com/jobs?q=Occupational+Therapy+...

UCLA has a listing for one - couldn't fill it for the last three months.

Appointments at the student health for OT - 1 1/2 month waiting list.

• Heidi
    Lv 4
    5 years ago

I have a great deal of respect for occupational and physical therapists. They help people. They have helped me, so that I can continue to be productive and feed my family. They are wonderful people, and you cannot do wrong embarking on this endeavor.

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

Considering the pay of $49,898 - $91,652, yes it is.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.