How to accept my boyfriend's past as a drug addict and john?

Honestly, I do accept it. The problem is I the person that I love now is NOT compatible with the person he was before we met, someone who didn't value his life at all. I guess there's this eerie feeling I get that if we weren't to work out (we plan on getting married, and I see us not working out as a... show more Honestly, I do accept it. The problem is I the person that I love now is NOT compatible with the person he was before we met, someone who didn't value his life at all. I guess there's this eerie feeling I get that if we weren't to work out (we plan on getting married, and I see us not working out as a hypothetical that won't play out), he would go back to that life.
We are so in love, and I know we are meant to be together (it's a feeling, plus we had lots of crossing of paths before we entered each other's lives) and it hurts me to think that this person I love so much was in such a low place that he didn't care that what he was doing could kill him.
I just can't make the past and present compatible. How can I develop a more gracious and complex view of this? Perhaps an elaboration of the "what he did before you, made him who he is and led him to you" wouldn't be terrible.
Update: @hurricain Thank you @sleepingliv I am the reason that he has changed, which makes me feel uncomfortable, not superior. I want the person I love to feel valuable regardless of my existence. I had a pretty narrow, simplistic way of viewing people before him; loving him has showed me how many hats a person can... show more @hurricain Thank you

@sleepingliv I am the reason that he has changed, which makes me feel uncomfortable, not superior. I want the person I love to feel valuable regardless of my existence. I had a pretty narrow, simplistic way of viewing people before him; loving him has showed me how many hats a person can wear. I love him completely with his past, it's just trying to frame it in the present that is troubling me.
Update 2: @sleepingliv My biggest problem in life is not being able to let go of the past. It has ruined so much for me. I am obsessed with my own, but that's besides the point.