Julie D. asked in PetsDogs · 7 years ago

What can I expect when a Police Officer visits my home with his *Canine Cop* for a social visit?

I know this is probably a stupid question, but is there some sort of special etiquette rules to follow? Just by freak chance, my Husband and I met a Police Officer last night who is in the K-9 unit of the City he works for. He was actually at our home because he was purchasing garden related items from us. Anyway, for obvious reasons he noted that we are *dog people* and asked us if we'd like to meet his K-9 partner, as he would stop by with his Mal if we would like that. I CAN NOT WAIT as I've never really encountered a REAL Police Dog, so I don't even know if he's going to stop by while on duty for a few minutes, or as a social thing when he comes back with his Wife to make more gardening purchases from us. Of course, maybe he'll tell me what I can or can't do, and if he doesn't, I'll ask, but I don't want to make a fool out of myself. Do you have any tips for me other than using my common sense? In fact, if he does wait until he comes over with his wife, he might just bring all 3 of his Mal's, 2 of which are retired, and one is even 15 years old.

Thanks Greek! Ya, I think I'd like to keep all of my *parts,* and even finding out that he was a Police Officer was just by accident. My Husband and I are avid gardeners, and we had a posting on Craigslist for some pond stuff and perennial plants. He bought the pond stuff off of us and will be coming back MANY times for perennial plants, as him and his Wife are trying to *fill up* the yard in the home they just bought, which is 1 1/2 acres. We even had a conversation about where the dogs come from. I'm not sure if this is one of his current dogs or not, but he did bring back 3 Mal's from Holland, and the *force* also uses a breeder/kennel in either Indiana or Illinois. (I forget which kennel he named, but I'm pretty sure I'll be finding out more as time goes on) This Officer just lives about a 1/2 Mile from me, but works for the Hazel Park Police Dept. (Michigan) He told me that he did request a Dobe at one point, but that was NOT going to happen, and you c

Favorite Answer

Lord...police dog and a Malinois too..Julie, how did you get so "lucky"? I would keep my hands to myself, always, I would keep a good distance if he takes the dog out of the car and I would compliment what he shows you about the dog, if anything.

Resist the temptation to touch the dog, even if he tells you its ok, trust me on this. Hopefully it will be over soon.

Source(s): Realist
  • Tee

My ex neighbor was police chief and his wife was an officer. They purchased a GSD for our little city. She was supposed to train her. Apparently this dog was retired from police work about 2 years or so after it began. I had heard this dog was 'un-trainable' but I think she failed her. She got out several times and just ran into my yard and attacked my dachshunds. However, no harm so I think she was just under exercised and wanting to play. The man would work with her quite a bit but that was after the dog was retired and the wife left him. She was a beautiful GSD. Apparently hard to control.

I only approached her once with permission. She loved the attention and was friendly. I hated seeing her in her outdoor enclosure day after day. It broke my heart and I would talk to her often to calm her down as all she did was bark.

Just ask your new friend what is allowable before petting or approaching. He will probably have a voice command for the dog so you can approach safely.

• H

I know someone who is a cop and has a canine partner. The dog is unapproachable while on duty. They are trained that way but, in a social situation when he knows he is not working, he is the same as any dog. I would ask if you could pet him first but, unless the cop gives the dog commands to be aggressive, they are wonderful family dogs. Very sweet.

Source(s): Long time dog owner
  • woh

common sens will do