Why do people tend to think that the Ancient Romans were white?

Why do many people say that the original Romans were white? That the Etruscans were white. They were darker than what we would consider white. Sure they were part of the Caucasian branch of people and they were in Europe, but they were dark and many people say they were white. Is it something personal for Europeans... show more Why do many people say that the original Romans were white? That the Etruscans were white. They were darker than what we would consider white. Sure they were part of the Caucasian branch of people and they were in Europe, but they were dark and many people say they were white. Is it something personal for Europeans or is it just a big lie? The Romans were darker and had their own race that was even different than modern day Italians. Some people even say that the Romans were lighter than modern-day Italians. I'm white so don't judge me...