How to reset an Imac?

a friend of mine left me an older imac before he left town, he couldn't take much with him for reason I don't wish to disclose and since I am the only computer nerd he knows he left me the computer. The problem is that he had it locked with a password and only had one account on it. I can't get into it to do anything and I can't get in touch with him. So is there a way to reset the computer without logging into it. I don't need any of the files anymore. I am mostly a pc guy so I am thinking like a reinstall of the os but I don't know if that is possible with mac. Can someone help me out?

• Matt
    Favorite Answer

Ok, so what you need to do is while starting up hold down the option key and when the boot loader comes up select the recovery drive. If there is no recovery drive you can create one if you can find a Mac recover image online. If you login to the computer as (username "root" and password "alpine") you can do just about anything with the computer and I would just buy Mountain Lion(OS 10.8) and use the install esd(should be a .dmg file) that is in the install "app" that you get to create your own recovery partition.

Source(s): Been a Mac user for 2 years and I know how do fix just about anything and use Terminal everyday. If. You need any more help email me @ mjackson.3996@yahoo.com.

I watched this tutorial and successfully created a second admin account. no passwords are needed. Try watching this. I hope it helps. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJYHSmWAomM

Youtube thumbnail

Source(s): YouTube Hack a Mac

apple store online chat or customer service