Bed stuy safe? community experience?

I found an apartment on the cross streets of decatur st and malcolm x blvd near the utica ave A, C train stop. I really like the apartment but do not know much about brooklyn and was wondering if this area in bed stuy is safe? A bunch of people I know have said bed stuy isn't safe, but they don't live there... show more I found an apartment on the cross streets of decatur st and malcolm x blvd near the utica ave A, C train stop. I really like the apartment but do not know much about brooklyn and was wondering if this area in bed stuy is safe? A bunch of people I know have said bed stuy isn't safe, but they don't live there and I was wondering if anyone on here actually knows the area well to give proper advice. I have gone to the area and it looked good as far as I dont go looking for trouble but I also checked crime tracking sites and it looks like there is a lot of violence around that area. I work in the city and don't mind the commute, however I work late nights some times and could be heading home say around 8pm on any given day and I am a young female whom will be living alone. The apartment looks great and has a security system but I am more concerned with the subway in the area at night and the 15 min walk from the subway to the apartment. Thanks for your advise in advance
3 answers 3