Are People Who Believe In God Stupid?

I'm a 16 year old guy, and I've recently broken away from religion and call myself atheist. Look, I don;t judge anybody, I never have, and am really nice. However now I feel like everyone who is religious is just stupid. I know it sounds ridiculous, yet I've seen that the majority of the scientific community is atheist, religion has brought nothing but bad things through out history, and Christianity is just a mash up of various Pagan religions and stole from many other religions (Just watch Religulous or Google it). I don't want to have that mindset that people who are religious are just dumb so can I have some thoughtful insight? Thanks so much.

Clem, how are you going to tell me that? You say that as a whole its not? Well other than most wars, the Crusades, 9/11,arranged marriges to minors, blowing up girls' schools, the suppression of women and homosexuals, fatwas, ethnic cleansing, honor rape, human sacrifice,burning witches, suicide bombings, condoning slavery, and the systematic ******* of CHILDREN, I can see how religion is positive

• Best Answer

Interesting, Lee Stroble a Former Atheist said the same thing when he was an atheist, he doesn't say that now, explain that why don't you.

http://www.blogos.org/theologyapologetics/atheists...

Source(s): TR

I was once once an atheist who felt as you do about religion, actually previously probably i'd have posted a query like this, nonetheless now i am a Christian, and i think you are ignorant as I once was. There are theories with reference to evolution and so on which some use to explain our origins, which can be simply that theories. Nevertheless there has in no way been any scientific evidence to show how existence came into being in the first position. Correctly a lot of some of the worlds finest scientists together with Albert Einstein were devout- you already know why? Considering that if which you could rather have an understanding of and appreciate the sweetness and perfection of the arena, the complexity of lifestyles, and the specified amazing characteristics of people, it is very difficult to feel that we came from nowhere. And the more expert you are of such matters the harder it is to believe that there is no God. I am sure that if you happen to were to head to church and be trained the bible, you emotions in regards to this obstacle would trade

The most likely reason for thinking someone else is stupid, merely because they don't agree with you, is that you're ignorant of their real beliefs. Just check out the silly things creationists write about evolution in this forum.

Now, some of my fellow believers may really BE stupid, either willfully (like those creationists) or otherwise. But if you assume that a person who disagrees with you is necessarily stupid, you're making the one assumption most likely to keep YOU stupid: that you know everything and have nothing more to learn.

I don't write off atheists as stupid. I just disagree with them. Actually, I read some of the books they write, because I'm interested in what they have to say, and some of the points they raise would benefit a lot of Christians if they paid attention. I am prepared to defend the notion that atheism is just as intellectually valid as Christianity. But atheists who think Christianity is stupid are just as bad as Christians who think atheism is stupid, and for the same reason: they're imagining that the side they agree with is automatically right.

BTW, I'm not sure what you've got contributing to that notion that Christianity is "just a mash-up of pagan religions." There ARE a lot of pagan elements that have influenced Christian practice and Christian culture. But a lot of the stuff you can find by Googling is nonsense, too. (For instance, the form of Horus mythology that resembles Christianity is undocumented until several centuries after Christianity became established in Egypt, and we have good evidence that earlier forms have none of those similarities.) The notion that what you find on the Internet is true is a far more foolish belief than anything in Christianity.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they’ve found it.

-- Terry Pratchett, "Monstrous Regiment"

You should really search your soul because you have contradicted yourself in so many ways in just one paragraph. First, you say that you are a really nice guy, but then you call other people dump and stupid. Secondly, you state that religion has caused many wars, but if you research that, you will discover that most of the recent big wars were caused by people who were Atheists. They might have declared that they were Christians, but they only said those things to win over the people. I see that you cut down Christianity, but left out the religion that has been causing a lot of religious wars, the Muslims. When was the last time that you saw a Christian suicide bomber or a Christian Jihadist?

I use to be an Atheist, myself, when I was your age, but I received Jesus as my Savior when I was 19, just in case I was wrong. I did not believe in it at the time, but God proved himself to be real to me over the next 20 years. Then after I wrecked my life, I made him the Lord over my life. Then my life became complete and whole. The only regret that I have is that I did not do this sooner.

Search for the truth. Things are not as they appear.

History shows that the religious (as a whole) are not stupid.

You say "religion has brought nothing but bad things throughout history". Well, you've just lost every sensible, rational person. That comment is one of the dumbest things I've heard in an awfully long time. (No offence.)

So yeah, you've kinda just shown that atheism is looking more "stupid" than religion.

If everyone who believes in God is stupid then you'd be saying that many well known artists, scientists, philosophers and writers were stupid. Men like C.S. Lewis, Rene Descartes, Soren Kierkegaard, Charles Spurgeon and Martin Luther King.

And I hardly think that a Bill Maher movie (Religulous) is a reliable source of information btw. Of course he skews things, because he's a comedian.

Indoctrination is a very powerful tool especially when used on children when the mind is still growing.

The best you can do is try and show them the truth but deprogramming is a long and difficult path.

You must accept that for some people it just can't be done, they will not see the truth no-matter what you do.

• borhan

fake religion make people atheists ..but only true religion which came from the creator of the Universe will make you believe ..so search for it ..ans is there but you have to ask the right question .Does science have all the answer beyond universe .i guess most of the atheist scientist made up their mind that things which they can't understand are not worthy of thinking ..so they just blocked a huge mistery of the universe which ans they might never get

• Doong

No. Those who believe God are reasonable. Consistent with the scientific statement about universe, morality and some other ideas. See here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3g0VRnvN6vQ

Youtube thumbnail

, and here: http://www.reasonablefaith.org/

It is atheism in the wrong position

• Nous

The only way primitive religion exists today is through the child abuse of forcing it into very, very young children but thanks to better education and growing intellects so many teens are able to discover the truth, throw off the indoctrination and step into the real world!

Now you live in reality you can see so much more but please realize these people are still prisoners of their indoctrination and cannot help themselves!

You have it all wrong. People Who do not Believe In God are Stupid. Why? Because without God's help, it is self destruction of our souls into Hell for all eternity.

Recommend you change your thoughts about God and seek Him. Otherwise, Satan will control your soul.

Source(s): CAtholic Christian