Shouldn't ICC investigate the Lord's pitch where the Kiwi's were bundled out for 68?

Seriously ICC is so keen to investigate about Galle pitch whenever there is a major collapse. But Funnily enough no team has been bowled out for 68 there! Even the last match where some ppl complained, Australia made 279 for the 1st innings while SL replied with 105. Then Australia made 200 and SL passed 250 in the 2nd innings.

I find it completely unfair that people come out and whinge about sub continent pitches whenever there is something fishy. But turn blind eye when the same happens in England or Australia or even in South Africa.

There are plenty of examples for unorthodox pitches outside S/C. There are plenty of low scoring games in the history.

Come on... I just can't stand injustice. It's not fair! Right? If square turners are bad and unfair then green tops where the pace bowlers gets unfair advantage also should be NOT FAIR!

A mediocre bowler like Broad picking up 7 wickets for 44 on a green top and doctored pitch!

I am ok with doctoring the pitches. Any team would like to make most of the home field advantage and they have all the rights to do so. But no one should come out and complain about that right? So don't you think there should be no complains, no excuses, no whinges, no conspiracy theories from here on about pitches at sub continent?

Edit:- No offense, I might sound harsh here but I can't stand injustice...

nalaka fairly:- If your question was a genuine one(which seems so) you can always appeal through your violation notice email and get it back. I didn't even know that you asked such a question btw.

Saboo :- Galle was known as a bowler's paradise and got criticized for it which was the reason why the curators prepared a sheer flat track on that SL vs BAN match. And it went over board!

* * *

Same theory goes in S/C track too Apart from criticizing the surfaces I hope the critics should accept that the S/C spinners have bowled really well against the inconsistent non S/c Batsmen. In fact that was what exactly happened most of the times!

You see last time England defeated India in india with some exceptional batting. It's one rare occasion where batsmen getting used to the conditions and handling it with great consistency.

@Yahwho and Saboo - I agree with you. Btw my point here in this Q is not to say that England unfairly doctored the pitch in order to earn a cheap win. I know they didn't. My point here is that if ppl don't complain about pitches outside S/C then they should not do it to the pitches at S/C either.

Sanga :* Another example is SL tour of Australia on 2004/05 where the first test match was a huge surprise. The almighty Australian batting line up collapsed for 200 in the first innings against the SL attack without Murali! Then SL crushed on 97! Australia once again bundled out for 200 where as SL bowled out for 160 chasing 310 to win.

Favorite Answer

Like Saboo said the scores for the first three innings were consistent, it was just poor application which precipitated New Zealand's second innings collapse. I also think that people were perhaps unrealistic in their expectations of what they thought a good score might be on this pitch.

Yes, it's Lord's but it's also early season. The outfield has been slow and the wicket was not fast and it was swinging through the air, as well as moving off the pitch. I mean come on, it's not as if the ball was rearing up off the cracks. A couple of days ago when people were berating England's batting performance I did suggest that 200 was going to be very hard to chase.

http://ca.answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=Ai...

http://ca.answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=As...

http://ca.answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=Ah...

I also didn't see the game in Galle so I can't comment on it. I agree that there should be some consistency when people make comparisons between green tops and spitting cobras but this wasn't that green. It's also been cloudy in London so there is always a chance that the ball will swing. In ending this section of my post you know that I try to be consistent and I agree that different surfaces are part and parcel of the game.

It's no good complaining about pitches just because a teams technique has been found wanting (which can happen, both on spin and quick surfaces). The mitigating factor here is that both teams are used to theses conditions and know what to expect. But this thought also has to be considered: if anything untoward has gone on, then why haven't New Zealand made a formal complaint?

I can see it from your side though. When I first joined towards the end of the Ashish era I was annoyed with hearing conspiracy theories on a daily basis about how England and Australia consistently cheated by doctoring pitches with "under soil technology", so out of sheer frustration I asked this question:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=Asa1p...

TJ gave a good answer. It also helped to improve my opinions about India and we became contacts. His answer still seems fresh even today and I think that it's as fair now as it was then.

• Saboo

Come on that pitch was hardly a deadly green-top! Sure there was some assistance there for the seamers but the scores of around 200-250 which we saw are what make for good, competitive test cricket.

As for all the wickets that fell today I think they were down to some excellent bowling rather than the pitch itself misbehaving. First Southee for New Zealand and then Stuart Broad put in fantastic performances and the Kiwi batsman were also guilty of showing some indiscipline and a lack of application in their 2nd innings.

I haven't personally heard about Galle being investigated by the ICC but do agree that there should be consistency applied with regards to this. I thought the main problem with Galle though was the that it was too flat?

http://www.espncricinfo.com/srilanka/engine/match/...

Edit:

Oh I see, I think I must be getting mixed up with another Sri Lankan ground then, one of the Colombo grounds maybe.

I fully agree that credit should be given to the bowlers when it's due though - whether they be seamers or spinners. Also each country has the right to prepare pitches tailored to their own strengths without complaint. As you say their opponents must do their best to adjust, just like England managed to do in India. The need to master unfamiliar conditions is a part of what makes test cricket so special.

The only real issue I have is when completely dead, flat pitches appear which offer nothing at all to bowlers and make the chances of a result in 5 days almost zero - something which does seem to be happening more often than it used to. However this is a phenomenon not just limited to the sub-continent as the recent series in New Zealand proved.

Mainly its the uneven bounce that concerns the match referee

Ball swing alot due to conditions in England disregard of surface..I think ICC should should focus more about pitches in SA and Australia...Most Australian wickets are among the best in the world but once in a while they produce shockers like the one SL got in last match of 2010 ODI series.In SA u get wickets where thers lots of uneven bounce and sometimes ones that ball rises alarmingly from even good length..

Low scoring tests are fascinating. ICC's view about Galle pitch was really made no sense. in that match M.Hussey and Jayawardene scored tons, it showed that if you are a class player you can score there. And that's how it should be. It shouldn't be like the match with Bangladesh where even players like Rahim score double tons. ICC's needless concerns made curators prepare a pitch like that.

Seconded.

But the pitch versus Bangladesh was real bad.

Broad did bowl well today. But there is nothing wrong with the pitch. The white domination will be there always. Not everyone will be like that, but some bad apples are always there. Just let them bark.

Regards.

• ph

You cant blame the pitch for any of the wickets, the ball was seaming around and in those sort of conditions Englands bowlers are second to none.

No English bowlers read my apparent scathing posts of the English team and bowled accordingly.

• borhan

Personally i enjoy watching this type of ups & down in test rather watch a 5 day test .Nz don't really have good reputation in test considering how their performance going down

The pitch was very slow and i didn't see any uneven bounce

• small

I think it deserves a one-year ban.