Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingToddler & Preschooler · 7 years ago

Help with 18 month old son talking?

Hi!

My son is 18 months old and will only talk when he feels like it. He says momma, daddy, and bubba all the time. I know he can say other things like kitty, duck, ball.. But he will only do it when he feels like it. All the other times he just points and makes this "ehh" sound. I am a stay at home mom, I am always playing with him, constantly repeating what we are doing, read to him, include him in helping me cook, I've been teaching him his body parts(ear, nose, eyes...). I know he hears, i say got get the ______ and he goes and gets it, and I know he knows what it is he just won't say it.

So my question is how can I help to get him to say more words? What else can I do with him?

• misty
    Favorite Answer

Refuse to get whatever it is he's pointing at until he says it maybe although that could end up stressing him.

The other thing you could do is socialise him with other kids a bit more. When he has to hold his own with other kids he might find it more in his interest to speak a bit more.

My son is around that age and wasn't talking much either. I brought it up to his pediatrician at his checkup and he wasn't concerned. I'll tell you exactly what he said.

First he asked, does he have older siblings? (Yes a sister) If they understand him, they'll often speak for him and tell you what he needs. Or maybe you(mom) already understands what he is saying or wanting and giving it to him. In those cases, he sees no need or rush to talk.

Second thing he asked was does he listen when you speak? Can he follow simple directions like "pick up that toy" or " give me your shoe". I said yes, he does that. The doctor said, "great, then I'm not worried at all and you shouldn't be either. Next time you come in you'll probably be asking how do I get him to STOP talking so much?!"

He was right, shortly after he turned 2, his vocabulary and communication improved tremendously! Overnight it seems! He is a VERY talkative and articulate 5 yr old now. Be patient mom.

Source(s): Experience.

Usual, typical, usual. It sounds from your description that his receptive language is right on monitor (is aware and responds to what you say to him) and shows his hearing is best. My son was once the equal manner. I would learn that the average 18 mo had a vocabulary around 50 phrases and suppose - no risk! At the same time as he neared 2 he rarely used 20 phrases. He's 2.5 now and speaks in full paragraphs. Maintain speakme to him with average adult phrases and reading to him and he'll talk when it can be his time.

I wouldn't worry too much. The fact that he understands what you're saying is half the battle. Sometime in between now and a year he's probably going to go through a massive vocabulary explosion where he'll start saying words you didn't even know he's heard.

I'll never forget when my 2 year old not only used the word "jealous", but used it in the correct context. That one freaked me out for a couple of days.