Lauren asked in HealthWomen's Health · 7 years ago

Should i go to the gynecologist?

I'm 14 (almost 15) and I started my period almost 2 years ago. I was watching GIRL CODE and it said that a girl should go to the "gyno" as soon as they start they their period. Buttt I know my dads girlfriend will say no your not ready! What do I do???! Should I ask anyways?!!?

Favorite Answer

The American College of. Obstetricians and Gynecologists website says:

"Currently, the College recommends that the first visit to the obstetrician–gynecologist for screening and the provision of preventive services and guidance take place between the ages of 13 years and 15 years. This visit generally does not include pelvic examination. The focus of this visit should be on patient education. During this visit, the obstetrician–gynecologist can establish the clinician–patient relationship and engage in age-appropriate discussion of anatomical development, body image, self-confidence, weight management, immunizations (including the human papillomavirus vaccine), contraception, and prevention of STIs"

So I would say yes, you should go.

I really don't see why. The only thing I can say is if your periods become really heavy or last more then a week then yes, see someone. Take care.