How do you clean your fruits and vegetables? Is it weird I wash mine with soap?

I don't fill safe eating fruits and vegetables at the store that so many people touch or I don't know how it was handled in the store or during transportation and I don't think running it under water is enough. How do you clean your fruit and is it weird I wash mine with soap?

Favorite Answer

It certainly is weird to wash them with soap as they most taste bloody awful, I suppse you then peel them as well

Dune

• Aught

It's not usually necessary, but it's not weird. Soft skinned produce like peaches, spinach or strawberries can sometimes absorb soap into the flesh, though. Use an unfragranced castile soap. People in my region are known to that. Some things I always wash with soap are cantaloupes, oranges and apples if they've been waxed. Cantaloupes are notorious for contamination after slicing through a dirty exterior, transferring toxins to the inside. You should always at least rinse all produce, even if you don't eat the peel. The vinegar method mentioned by others is traditional and effective, too.

It's true that running water and rubbing by hand can remove almost all soil and dirt, the small amount of bacteria that's adhered directly to the surface of the fruit or veg wont come off that way. Usually those remaining don't cause illness because people's immune systems are fit to resist infection. Regarding pesticides, many pesticide residues have a low solubility in water and require some kind of surfactant or scrubbing to adequately remove them, if at all, from peel you'll be eating. Avoiding the peel is an option. Systemic pesticides cant be removed.

Source(s): On bacteria: Microbiology course. Text book below. Tortora, G. J., B. R. Funke, and C. L. Case. Microbiology: An Introduction. 10th ed. San Francisco: Pearson Education, Inc., 2010. Print.

Umm soap?!!! Well I never heard anyone washes fruits vegetables with soap honey.. Let me tell you.. keep your fruits & vegetables submerged under water for 30 mins ....with some salt into the water.. That will work then wash those with hands normally :) salt washes the germs...

• Suzy Q

I just rinse with water. If it's a root vegetable I will be eating with skin (like new potatoes) I may brush to make sure I get dirt off.

It seems to me like soap only creates the problem of having to rinse extra carefully again to prevent soap residue.

I clean most of my fresh veggies (and fruits) with a soaking mixture of water and white vinegar, and then rinse them. I eat about 80% of my veggies raw and have never gotten sick from any of them.

Certain types of fruits and veggies I only buy organic (at Trader Joe's), such as bell peppers, cucumbers, grape tomatoes, apples, strawberries, grapes/raisins, potatoes, etc. - since those are the types most likely to be heavily contaminated with pesticides in their non-organic forms.

I wash fruit with lots of water.

I buy organic and local. I rinse in water only, especially if I am going to cook it. If I'm going to eat it raw, I make sure that I trim any roots extra close and scrub if it's a root vegetable. That's it.

• Daisy

I rinse then under running water. The cooking will kill any bacteria. I don't even wash those that will be peeled. I think you're over thinking this.....

Then don't eat.

plain cold water is all I use. It is all I have EVER used.

Rarely get sick so apparently other folks touching my fruit doesn't bother me. I also don't sanitize the cart and any other nonsense like that either.

Have you considered that you can get sick from the soap you use??

You know, being so sanitary is NOT good for you...your immune system needs bacteria to fight against and not giving it any makes your immune system weak. It also causes your immune system to fight weird things like foods, which is where many scientests think the increase in food allergies is coming from...Food allergies are EXTREMELY rare in third world countries....

Its called the Hygiene Hypothesis...look it up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hygiene_hypothesis

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/09/07090...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC284182...

I clean my veggies under running water.......... take a look at the tv show Marketplace........... don't let companies steal your money by buying specific products to wash veggies....... they have evidence that rinsing in water is sufficient.