what is "prolier-than-though"?

what does "prolier-than-though" mean? I had googled, but only "prolier-than-thou" came up. No explanation found, however.

See the source below:

"Half a century later, Sir Alex Ferguson remains Old Labour in speech, if not always in deed, and talks with sincere warmth and lack of prolier-than-though piety (his family were blessed, he points out, with an inside toilet) about his upbringing."

• Lucy
    Favorite Answer

I think 'though' is a typo.

'Prolier-than-thou' is a play on the more well-known phrase 'holier-than-thou'. It means 'more working (or lower) class than you' and, similarly to your example, tends to crop up between politicians and political commentators a lot. It makes sense in the context in which you've given it, certainly.

The word prolier isn't in itself grammatically correct, but it derives from the words proletarian, proletariat and (more informally) prole.

It's going back a bit, but a really good tongue-in-cheek example of a prolier-than-thou conversation would be Monty Python's Four Yorkshiremen sketch! "There were a hundred and fifty of us living in t' shoebox in t' middle o' road..."

See it here: http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/a3a01da38e/monty-...

I assume it's a play on "holier-than-thou" and probably the "though" should be "thou".

"Prolier"= more proletarian, i.e. poorer

"prolier-than-thou"= You think you were poor, I had to walk fourteen miles in the snow to get a lump of oatmeal for breakfast

• Haley

It should be ' Holier than thou'.

Holier-than-thou -

Exhibiting an attitude of superior virtue; self-righteously pious.

Source(s): haley

maybe a typo?

try "holier-than-thou"