J asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 7 years ago

My family forgot my birthday?

I live with my dad and step mom and my 3 half brothers. It was my birthday on Friday and nobody said anything about it at all. I feel a bit mad at my dad because he forgot, but he has a lot on at the mineut - he has just lost his job and he's having trouble with my step mom. Anyway, I don't know weather to say anything about it to him or not? I've spoken to my friends who say that I should tell him, but it seems a bit harsh and I think maybe I should just leave it.

Has anyone else had someone forget, and are you supposed to say anything or not?

Favorite Answer

You definitely have to say somethin'. My parents have never forgotten my birthday. Who hasn't forgotten their families birthdays really.

My parents have forgotten my birthday twice;

the first time was when I turned 8 years old, and everyone was just really busy with stuff. I didn't really care, though. Birthdays have never been very hyped up in my family. But when they all realized it about a week later, they bought me a huge cream cake and took me to the zoo as a sort of apology-party.

The second time was when I turned 19. My dad was on a business trip, and my mom was on jury duty. And, to be fair, I also forgot my birthday that day, because I had morning classes, followed by work, followed by night classes, so I was just too exhausted to think about it.

None of us came to realization about that for another 2 weeks, and at that point it was just funny.

I can see how it would be painful for you, though... however, understand that your dad is only a person. Just like you, he gets stressed, he gets busy, and he sometimes forgets things, even important things. He's not perfect, he sometimes messes up, and sometimes you have to be more mature than you would normally need to be and accept his problems and forgive him

If I were you, I would just drop a subtle hint or something, rather than straight-up telling him, because then he'd just feel really guilty.

For example, maybe say "Dad, what was today's date again?" or say "Dad, am I old enough to get a license?" or some sort of question like that, and he'll most likely come to the realization on his own.

If they don't remember... maybe just let it go until next year.

It sounds really difficult, but sometimes you need to buck up and be the calm, collected sane one in the family when everything else is screwy and crazy. And if it's any consolation, it sounds like you at least have good friends who remember your birthday, so that's something.

• Este

Tell him but gently. He's having tough time now so he will need that.

I had no birthday or Christmas till I moved out at 16. Finally got my 1st birthday & Christmas experience at 19, right after I got married and it was from my husband & his family.

Nobody gave a damn about me when I was growing up. So this was new. But after 10 years, I am getting oh so tired of these social obligations. Mostly because of terrible gift givers and I have to pretend to love(at least like) bad gifts. I almost don't want to celebrate any of these now.

Well I can say they did not forget but I think they would not afford anything at that moment so dont worry about it there's always another time they will try so always be patients because there is always a good time and a bad time I can just advise u on that be bless

You need to say something but be gentle. You say he has a lot on his mind at the moment. no excuse for forgetting your birthday but a reason he might feel even worse about himself. anyway best of luck and belated happy birthday from me.

• Ellen

Aww I'm so sorry! Confront them about it. 16 is a big deal. Happy birthday.

Happy Birthday from me.

That must smart some. Let your Dad know now.

I know what you're feeling. You want to tell your dad, but he has alot on his plate and you don't want him to feel more stressed, but you need to them him about your birthday. One does not simply forget their own daughter's birthday, Please. Man up, because to me it's not acceptable. x

Ahh that is a shame doesn't mean he doesn't love you though.

i think you should say something to him but be gentle and talk about it instead of argue.

Source(s): sorry i havent helped much