Why can a website look slightly different on Firefox vs Internet Explorer?

I have a website and it looks fantastic on Firefox. However, on internet explorer it does not look as good, spacing is off, etc. For example, I have some thumbnails on one page and the text under each thumbnail looks perfect on Firefox. On Internet explorer however the text under the thumbnails is off center... show more I have a website and it looks fantastic on Firefox. However, on internet explorer it does not look as good, spacing is off, etc. For example, I have some thumbnails on one page and the text under each thumbnail looks perfect on Firefox. On Internet explorer however the text under the thumbnails is off center and some of it is actually to the right of the thumbnail---to the right and under---it looks bad. This drives me crazy! Is there anyway to fix this this problem? Thanks!