Why would anyone break into my car to steal about $2 worth of coins in car ashtray?

When I went in my car I noticed my ash tray was completely empty. I usually keep spare changes I got from drive thrus but EVERY coin is gone. Nothing else was stolen.

Should I even bother reporting this to the police?

Unless there is a broken window or sign of forced entry the police will not even take down a report for it.

And they will do this because they are now $2 richer. And if there was damage, they do not have to pay for it.

• pmc123

If you left it in sight, you asked for it. It costs a thief nothing to smash your window or pry your door to get to your belongings - no matter what the value. I had $1200 of damage done to my hatchback when someone pried it with a crowbar to steal my roadside emergency kit. In retrospect, it resembled a portable bar - and that was enough motivation to make them try.

You say broke into my car ? bet the door was unlocked and yes their are bad guys who would take your change and run. Forget about a police report because they have more important cases to work on.

Might be loose change to you but its dinner to someone who's got nothing, lesson to be learnt don't leave valuables on view in your car

So was your doors unlocked? Or windows smashed?

If not you probably spent the money...

i wouldnt depends how much it was but if u left it open or unlocked lesson learned hopefully lol

Cocaine's a hell of a drug.