Is traveling to India really as dangerous as everybody says?

I was thinking of going to India in the spring and so far everybody has been trying to talk me out of it. My grandmother told me straight out that I was going to die. I know there have been a few horror stories of kidnappings and such, but what is the real likely-hood of that happening to me? I intend on going with... show more I was thinking of going to India in the spring and so far everybody has been trying to talk me out of it. My grandmother told me straight out that I was going to die. I know there have been a few horror stories of kidnappings and such, but what is the real likely-hood of that happening to me? I intend on going with a secure organization with guides with me all the time.

I've done my research and I know that there are certain areas that you shouldn't go to, and I'm steering clear of them. I've done my research and I know that there are a few risks, but they seem to be mostly petty thieves and pickpockets, and I've been in areas where that stuff has been prevalent before.. I'm going to try and be smart and look a bit less like a foreigner and wear the local clothing. What is the likely-hood of me getting really hurt over there?