"Life is Suffering."-Buddha. What do you think this means? How do you apply this quote to your life?

In my opinion, I think this quote makes sense and it just simplifies life into a very simple statement. The quote is not an opinion, but an honest fact. No living creature on Earth can escape suffering because even the pleasures that they experience leads to ultimate suffering.

As human beings we possess reason, and that is what makes us different than any other Sentiment being. Our youth may be a pleasing experience, but one day we change and we move away and youth is only a precious memory. We will eventually witness the deaths of our parents or our loved ones. We will eventually grow old, get sick, and die.

In our youths, the average human desires fame, money, sex, food, and sleep. We will have to suffer for it through hard work in school. If we fail school, then the rest of our lives, we will struggle in society to survive. Through stressful thoughts, anxiety, and relationships, we can never completely be at peace with ourselves.

Update:

This quote strictly simplifies life, not the afterlife. Please use some logic.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

You have beautifully explained it well.

But there is more. I found that in each pleasure , there is a hidden suffering.

Eat ice cream -- get diabetes.

Enjoy with prostitute -- get disease

Drink alcohol -- get spoiled liver and make your immune system weak.

Enjoy rich food -- get fatty or get artery blockage , heart attack

So in every pleasure there is suffering.

Buddha has called it the fundamental truth.

Now how do we apply it?

The solution is

1. Abstinence - Decrease indulging in sensual pleasures

2. Meditate - While sensual organs are active , try to meditate on these and stop formation of clinging & craving.

But what is it to be achieved ? We need to reach the state of calmness i.e. thoughtless state of pure awareness because then only we can reach the state of transcendental awareness and enlightenment.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    7 years ago

Death and Life in Purgatory

Amid all the uncertainties which are the characteristics of the world, there is but one certainty--Death. At one time or another, after a short or a long life, comes this termination to the material phase of our existence which is a birth into a new world, as that which we term "birth" is, in the beautiful words of Wordsworth, a forgetting of a past.

Our birth is but a sleep and a forgetting:

The Soul that rises with us, our life's Star,

Hath had elsewhere its setting,

And cometh from afar:

Not in entire forgetfulness,

And not in utter nakedness,

But trailing clouds of glory do we come

From God, who is our home:

Heaven lies about us in our infancy!

Shades of the prison-house begin to close

Upon the growing Boy,

But he beholds the light, and whence it flows,

He sees it in his joy;

The Youth, who daily farther from the east

Must travel, still is Nature's priest,

And by the vision splendid

Is on his way attended;

At length the Man perceives it die away,

And fade into the light of common day.

Birth and death may therefore be regarded as the shifting of man's activity from one world to another, and it depends upon our own position whether we designate such a change birth or death. If a man enters the world in which we live, we call it birth, if he leaves our plane of existence to enter another world, we call it death; but to the individual concerned the passage from one world to another is but as the removal to another city here; he LIVES, unchanged; only his exterior surroundings and condition are changed

• 7 years ago

It is a truth.

I have never done enough philosophy but I know about it to be true.

Life is a suffering as we have desires which leads to misery which is a big suffering.

• 7 years ago

There is a W A Y that seems right unto a man, but in the end leads to destruction.

. . . There is only one true God, the God that sent Jesus Christ of Nazareth. He is your God and creator as well as mine. And you know Him.

Here is your only hope: Repentance toward the Father, faith in Christ Jesus.

He died for our sins in accordance with scripture.

He was buried.

He was resurrected on the third day in accordance with scripture.

~The Gospel. Front and center. Full and complete.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    7 years ago

Why not avoid more suffering than you have to.You will live forever somewhere.Use your brain.

• 7 years ago

Wow Buddha reinvented the wheel. (Not)

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.