DaWayne asked in PetsDogs · 7 years ago

What is the best type of dog food that can be bought at Walmart?

Right now my 1.5 year old lab eats Purina Dog Chow. I would like to switch him to a higher quality food. I looked at Pet Smart but everything there is at least twice as expensive.

So which is the best quality dog food for the cheapest?

Favorite Answer

At Wal-Mart Nutrish (Rachael Ray brand). The medium size bags are 16 lbs and it's about $15.50. If you go to Rachael Ray's website and go to "switch to nutrish" you can print $3 off any size bag. You can print 2 coupons per home. It's a pretty good deal.

Below is the ingredients of the Beef Dog Food:

Beef, Chicken Meal, Ground Rice, Brown Rice, Soybean Meal, Whole Grain Corn, Corn Gluten Meal, Poultry Fat (Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Dried Plain Beet Pulp, Dicalcium Phosphate, Natural Chicken Flavor, Calcium Carbonate, Salt, Dehydrated Alfalfa, Dried Peas, Dried Carrots, Potassium Chloride, Olive Oil, Choline Chloride, Mixed Tocopherols, Iron Oxide (color), Zinc Sulfate, Vitamin E Supplement, Ferrous Sulfate, L- Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of Vitamin C), Niacin Supplement, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Sodium Selenite, Biotin, Vitamin A Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (A Source of Vitamin K Activity), Potassium Iodide, Cobalt Sulfate, Folic Acid

Crude Protein

Min. 14.0%Crude Fat

Max. 4.0%Crude Fiber

Max. 12.0%Moisture

Min. 1.5%Linoleic Acid

Min. 1.1%Calcium

Min. 0.9%Phosphorus

Min. 250 mg/kgZinc

Min. 225 IU/kgVitamin E

Min. 55 mg/kg (source of Vitamin C)*Ascorbic Acid

Min. 0.1%*Alpha-Linolenic Acid

Switch To Nutrish Coupon Form:

http://nutrish.rachaelray.com/switchto

1

Source(s): Complimentary Walmart Gift Card - http://WalmartGiftCard.ohfos.com/?RUR
  • Ronyea

I just finished looking at their selections on line and I would say that Natural Life is the best of the bunch. It's all lower quality food. You get what you pay for. But the Natural Life Lamb and Rice formula contained no by-product meal, no corn and no wheat. Lamb meal was the first ingredient but pretty much the only meat ingredient so it's still mainly a grain food. Iams was probably recommended because it's been around a long time. But there is documented evidence of very cruel animal testing that Iams/Eukanuba has conducted on animals in order to develop their food. (Food pets die for by Ann Martin). So I would never feed it to my animals even if it was the best food on earth.

Anything that can usually be bought at grocery stores usually isn't healthy. But I guess the most

''healthiest'' and ''cheapest'' thing would be Pure Balance dog food. But PLEASE do not buy food that is colered, like the Beneful Fiesta dog food. NOT healthy. I'm sure some places will give you free packages of good quality dog food, like Pure Vita ( Which isn''t advertised, they spend all their money on their food for the dogs) Nutri-Grain, Blue Buffalo. If you can get something that is Grain-Free espically is he has allergy or skin/coat troubles.

if you can find a specialty pet store (not petsmart or petco) or a feed store they will have higher grade stuff such as blue and such.

if price is the issue they have a brand that issues the same ingredients as the blue buffalo salmon and turkey formula which can be bought at costco it is 40$ for a 35lb bag but you will see the quality from paying a bit more (healthier coat etc) the local vet and shelter recommends the food anyway.

there is no good quality food sold at petsmart. or any grocery store. THe only good quality food is sold at upper scale pet stores. NOT PETSMART or PETCO> You can either pay for good food now , or pay for cheap food and then pay for all the vet bills you get as the dog gets sicker and more immune deficient. IT comes down to when you want to pay, cause you will pay especially if you feed that crap. Even the food at the vets is awful. You need to find a good food preferably with no grains. Orijen or Taste of the wild is a good quality food. or my favorite, which is HONEST KITCHEN I put my dogs on HK food and they now have clean white teeth, sweet breath, shiny healthy coats are energetic and healthy. They do not smell 'doggy' anymore even when wet. All that doggie smell is the bad grain in the food being pushed out of the body through the skin. They used to have skin problems and scratched themselves raw, before I switched. I can' tell you how much good quality food helped my girls. One of them was so scared and at times aggressive but after she was on the good food for about 2 weeks she is now not scared or aggressive like she was. so behavioral problems can be caused by bad food. I can only imagine how bad she must have felt eating that cheap food in the beginning. I am so glad I switched her to a decent food. good luck

Walmart only sells poor quality food so just take your pick. Poor quality is poor quality no matter the name brand.

Look at the ingredients lists. Meat (not meal) of some type should be the first ingredient. There should be no corn, wheat or by-products. Innova, Wellness, Orijen & Merrick are a few of the good brands out there.

None. All the dog foods at Walmart are full of fillers, additives, flavor enhancers, etc. ALL dog foods are processed. Best and cheap don't go together. You won't get anything good for cheap.

If you are able, I recommend the prey model raw diet. Healthiest, best diet for any dog, not to mention it can be cheap if you can source.

http://preymodelraw.com/

I don't shop at Walmart, nor do I particularly care for any Purina products, but if they carry it, I'd go with Purina Pro Plan.

The best they have is iams but it is still really sh!tty dog food. You could add some really cheap ground beef to it though to make it better.