Is anyone else disturbed by this lyric in "Getting Better" by The Beatles?

"I used to be cruel to my woman I beat her, and kept her away from the things that she loved" The song is such an upbeat, poppy tune...and then he drops this bombshell in the lyrics like it was no big deal...he used to do this, but now "it's getting better all the time." I know this... show more "I used to be cruel to my woman
I beat her, and kept her away from the things that she loved"

The song is such an upbeat, poppy tune...and then he drops this bombshell in the lyrics like it was no big deal...he used to do this, but now "it's getting better all the time."

I know this was the 60's, but I still find it disturbing. I think the casual manner that this lyric is utilized is creepy and insensitive. Does anyone else feel this way? Was beating a woman and being cruel to her more common--or more accepted--in that era? Are you OK with that explanation (because I'm not)?
Update: @Trixie: Wow, I am not familiar with that song. I think that one is worse than "Getting Better." Obviously John Lennon had some issues...you can tell that he and Sean Connery were contemporaries.