Yarn twists over locked dreads?

I have fully locked dreadlocks. I want to do yarn twists as a protective style this summer because the heat usually dries them out. I'll also be pretty busy with camps and jobs, so I won't have time to keep up my normal routine. Can I do my yarn twists over my dreads? If so, how? How many strands would I use per dread? Thanks.

Favorite Answer

if your worried about heat then DO NOT i repeat DO NOT cover them in yarn!

That will only help absorb heat. Think of your dreads like you would urself......

You wouldn't put a sweater on in the middle of summer would you? No. so dnt do that to your dreads.

Try these instead-

DreadButta- http://www.dreadheadhq.com/store/dreadhead-dread-b...

"Dread Butta is an amazing natural moisturizer that effortlessly turns scratchy to silky, providing your dreads with all the yummy nutrients they need to keep them strong-like-bull."

Dread-Licious- http://www.dreadheadhq.com/store/dread-licious

"A few sprays of Dread-Licious will give your dreads the moisturizing burst of tasty refreshment they’ve been longing for..."

Or if you really must wrap them use Thread not yarn.

Source(s): DreadheadHQ.com

I HAVE DREADLOCKS IN MY HAIR AND HAVE HAD THEM FOR SEVEN MONTHS. I HAVE YARN SILK DREADS IN MY HAIR AND I THINK THEY ARE AMAZING. FIRST THEY TOOK THE DREAD AND DID A BOX BRAID WITH THE YARN ON TOP AND SINCE MY HAIR WAS STILL SHOWING UNDER THE BRAID THEY TWISTED MORE YARN ON TOP AND MADE THEM LOOK LIKE READLOCKS AND THE ARE SUPPOSE TO LAST FOR APPROXIMATELY SIX MONTHS. YOU CAN WASH THEM AND OIL YOUR SCALP JUST AS NORMAL AND IT DOES HELP YOU HAIR TO GROW. WHEN YOU TAKE THEM OUT YOUR HAIR WILL BE SOFT SO JUST GET YOUR HAIR RETWISTED JUST AS NORMAL AND YOU WILL NOTICE THAT YOUR LOCKS ARE GOING TO BE LONGER AND STRENGHTHENED FROM NOT BEING TOUCHED FOR SIX MONTHS. IF YOU WANT TO DO THIS I SAY GO AHEAD ITS NOT A BAD IDEA. JUST WRAP IN A SILK SCARF OR BONNET AT NIGHT OR IN CASE YOU FORGET JUST GET A SILK PILLOW CASE. YOU CAN STILL HAVE LONG LOCKS IF YOUR LOCKS ARE SHORT YOU WILL LOVE THEM THEY ARE AMAZING. =) =) =) :) :) :p :p