Jaylin asked in PetsBirds · 8 years ago

I found a baby robin.. need help?

A little baby robin fell from somewhere in the sky and landed on my doorstep I didn't see any nests on my roof or anywhere else around where the baby robin fell...it looked to me like he might have been somethings snack and all of a sudden fell from it's predators claws. Long story short I'm stuck with it and need some advice on how to care for him. I bought 50 super worms from Petsmart and the cashier told me to cut them into pieces and feed it to the baby robin... I'm running out of worms because the baby robin seems like it's hungry every 15 secs. is this normal... I tried looking online for info but I'm struggling with this... I know that he eats mulberries but I have never heard of them until now and don't know where to look for them... He is chirping non stop and whenever anything moves around him or goes over his head he opens his mouth .... I gave him water and he almost bit me... maybe he was thirsty .... I don't know .. I need advice Asap.. the last thing I want to do is have to bury a baby robin in my backyard.....Thanks!

Favorite Answer

You seem to be doing everything fine. Robins are passerines (songbirds) and so need feeding literally every five minutes! just by plenty of worms, and keep it out of draughts and with luck it should be feeding itself soon. They take about 2-3 Weeks to reach the stage where they can feed themselves-so you're one might be nearly there already which would make it more likely to survive.

Good luck.

I doubt you need to be feeding this bird. If the bird is fully feathered, it is most likely a fledgling and has left the nest on it's own and it's parents are caring for it. It is normal for birds to leave the nest before they can fly. You need to replace it where you found it, preferably in a scrub or tree so it is relatively safe from predators . If it is unfeathered, then look for a nest and if you can find it, replace it into the nest. Do not worry about your scent being on the chick as birds have a very poorly developed sense of smell and will not reject a baby that has been touched. This is an old wives tale. If you cannot find a nest, get the bird to a local wildlife rehab for it's best chance of survival. Also, keep in mind, it is illegal for you to try and raise this bird on your own. All wild native birds in the U.S. are protected by the Migratory Bird Treaty Act. Look for a rehab here:

http://wildliferehabinfo.org/

Giving a bird water can drown it..stop..or you will kill it.

Source(s): me: wildlife biologist/ornithologist

Defiantly call your local wildlife expert, or even go to a bird seed store near you! Can it fly? If yes, be careful, it may just need to be out back outside! But if if is injured, take it to the vet in a box with the top on, and with cloth on the bottom.

He/she requires a much greater variety of food than worms. Please find a wild animal rehabilitation center to take the bird to, they have the knowledge, and required licensing to raise orphaned song birds. It would be illegal for you to have this bird. If the bird was dropped by a predator, it is possible it may have puncture wounds that will become infected and cause death with out treatment by a qualified rehabber. Please get the bird some professional help.

Source(s): volunteer in wild animal hospital