What dress style looks good on all body types?

There are going to be 7 bridesmaids. Most of us are on the heavier side. And some of us are short. We won't be wearing heels. So we need to find a dress style that looks good on "bigger" people. The bride wants the dress to the knee and no tube tops she wants straps.

Pictures will help. Thanks!

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Diane Von Furstenberg originated the wrap dress. It has been made in short and long versions and is considered ideal for all body types.

Diane von Furstenberg - The Wrap Dress

The Wrap Dress

By Justin Howard

Diane von Furstenberg is one of the world's most iconic fashion designers in the world, known as 'DvF' she became a household name as with the creation of her classic "wrap dress." Diane was once married to Italian Prince Egon von Furstenberg.

It's A Wrap

Her ever classic wrap dress came into existence after she saw former-President Nxon's daughter Julie Nixon Eisenhower on TV wearing a pairing of her wrap top with her wrap skirt. The glamorous effect that the pairing had together led Diane to combine them into a single dress.

In the mid 1970's von Furstenberg's "wrap dress" totally changed American women's apparel. It was first of a 'modern' kind of dress, a dress that was versatile enough to be a business garment or an chic evening gown. In 1975 alone, Diane was manufacturing 15,000 wrap dresses a week and in 1976 she had sold over 5 million wrap dresses. It is not surprising that this success landed her on the cover of Newsweek and The Wall Street Journal.

"I had a very down-to-earth product, my wrap dress, which was really a uniform. It was just a simple little cotton-jersey dress that everybody loved and everybody wore," she told New York Magazine in 1988. "That one dress sold about 3 or 4 million. I would see 20, 30 dresses walking down one block. All sorts of different women. It felt very good. Young and old, and fat and thin, and poor and rich."

By the end of the 1970's Diane von Furstenberg had successfully designed a dress that captured the spirit of women's liberation movement and became herself an icon of female empowerment for a whole generation.

"It's more than just a dress; it's a spirit," Von Furstenberg told The Independent in 2008. "The wrap dress was an interesting cultural phenomenon, and one that has lasted 30 years. What is so special about it is that it's actually a very traditional form of clothing. It's like a toga, it's like a kimono, without buttons, without a zipper. What made my wrap dresses different is that they were made out of jersey and they sculpted the body."

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 4 years ago

I suppose you might do well with an a-line costume with a geared up prime. Appear for anything that accents the chest with ruffles, ruching, beading, etc to attract some awareness and add curiosity. Which you can also get away with wearing probably the most slinkier styles that do not facilitate a exact bra, like one of the scale back cuts and probably the most satins. Having a small chest can obviously be a bonus! The a-line kind will allow the dress to fall naturally away from the hips without adding bulk like some styles can. Nonetheless, you excellent first-class bet is to move are trying on clothes, all styles, and notice what appears and feels first-rate. I'd rethink the strapless, so overdone! I am ill of strapless on everyone and i have been to too many weddings the place the bride keeps having to adjust herself and pull her dress up all night time. Excellent success!

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

Dresses that are tight around the waist and promote an hourglass figure go well with any body type. Anything with fuller skirts really, like tutus. High waisted skirts are nice as well.

"Body-con" usually looks good on skinnier girls. There are some exceptions though. Usually they just bring the people's attention to the best features

examples

tall girls: legs

curvy girls: bust

The best feature of a girl depends on the girl.

Try something 1950s inspired.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.