Does anyone know how the Temple of Derr in Egypt got it's name?

Was the person who discovered it named Mr. Derr? Does it have a some Egyptian meaning that I'm not aware of. I'm just curious because my last name is Derr and its a little odd that this German name is tied to Ramses and ancient Egypt.

Favorite Answer

I don't think it has anything to do with the person discovered it, almost all Egyptian temples got their names from their actual hieroglophic names. The word Derr is used in modern Egypt and it means "monastry" (Christian). I'm not sure if they are really related though.

Nice name BTW :)

In English and different western languages from the old Egyptian hi-ku-Ptah by way of the Greek Aegyptus... In Arabic, it is referred to as Misr, which comes from the name of Misr, the grandson of Ham, son of Noah. Ham is the ancestor of the African races, thus the term Hamitic. Misr is known in English (and Hebrew) as Mizraim.