M
M asked in PetsDogs · 7 years ago

Shelter won't tell me who adopted a dog?

I breed Bloodhounds and sold a puppy under contract to a lady four months ago. The contract is clear that the dog is to come back to me if she can not keep him. The contract states the dog CAN NOT be abandoned, sent to a shelter, or given away any other way. I found out that the lady put the dog in the POUND two weeks ago. I called because I was going to pick him up and they said he was adopted. They would not tell me who adopted him.

Because this is a legal issue - is there anything I can do to find out who has him? I do not live there. I am 14 hours away. But this puppy was under LEGAL CONTRACT and I do not want some random city person to have a BLOODHOUND, it is a WORKING DOG and is going to be a very hard pet for someone who doesn't know what to expect. Thanks

To add - I am not saying the bloodhound is a bad pet, but MY lines are working lines.

Favorite Answer

You need to contact a lawyer. There are layers of "rights" going on here - you have a contract for the return of the dog, but the SHELTER did not break it, and THEY are under legal obligation to not disclose personal information about those who adopt their dogs.

Since the shelter is under no obligation to legally provide you with the information - as the contract was between you and the previous owner - there may not be much you can do. Aside of course from taking a legal stance against the previous owner for violating the contract.

However, if I were to purchase a purebred dog from a shelter, I would definitely be interested in hearing from the breeder and learning more about the lines that the dog is from.

I doubt that you will receive the dog back, however you may be able to get the shelter to provide the new owners with your contact information and they may call at their discretion.

I purchased a Kelpie Border Collie mix from the shelter. Yes, a high energy working dog. I live in the city. I did my RESEARCH before bringing her home, and am a quite suitable home for her. Not always best to assume the worst out of people.

• Tee

Since you know the name of the shelter you could do a little detective work on your own. Post in their local paper and Craig's list for this dog, explain in the post. Ask the adoptees to come forward. It may not happen as it seems most people are self centered and selfish. But some of us would be concerned for the dog. Sounds like you want to make sure the dog is in a healthy atmosphere for his breed and lines, which I find commendable. You can also contact an attorney and see what advice she/he suggests.

In your situation, the shelter should make a special exception by calling the new owners for you and relaying a message to them about your concerns. If the new owner is a decent human being, they would call you after that. Most often though, we have to hear the standard "that's against policy".

Good luck!

Did you explain the situation to ac? They cant tell you who addopted a dog just like a dr cant tell you what the previous patient was seen for. You may have to go to court. Or just count it as a loss and hope the pupp has a good home. Not every one who adopt from a shelter is dumb. Some go to a shelter knowing what there looking for. And the just dont wanna buy from a breeder. Just think of it like this. The pup will have a good loveing home.

Source(s): Dog lover

The shelter doesn't have to honor your contract, they aren't going to give you a name. I would try putting an ad in the paper and on craigslist asking whoever adopted the dog to contact you. There can't be that many purebred bloodhound puppies in the area. Maybe you can work something out with them, or at least give them some guidance to raise the puppy right.

BREEDER CONTRACTS aren't worth the paper they are printed on unless they are notarised. Dogs are property and may be dealt with by the new owner in any way they see fit. They are not obliged to honor the contract. That would be like the FORD Dealer selling me a truck and saying that I cannot sell it to anyone else.

And no animal shelter is obliged to surrender the name of their clients for privacy reasons.

What you may do is politely ask the shelter to contact the new owner for you. But the new owner will probaly decline the release of their personal information, as is their right.

The shelter legally can't tell you anything. But you can contact the woman and find out whats going on. Tell her she signed a contract and that you will be getting a lawyer.

• Mary

I would contact a Dog Lawyer.... NO one tells you anything. I own a Bull Terrier and try to help with Rescue. You hit a stone wall trying to get any info. from Shelters or Vets... I had better luck where I lived before,I was volunteering at the Shelter. Unless you know a worker... Best to you...

I feel the same about Bull Terriers, they are not for everyone.

• Covah

Thankfully we've never had this issue, but in your situation I believe a lawyer may be your best bet.

I cannot fathom why this b&tch would rather take said pup to a pound rather then return him to you....

contract or not.

I agree with your added details...... An adorable Bloodhound pup is going to turn into a nightmare for a novice owner.

Source(s): A Brit/Romanian breeder & owner of French Bulls.
  • Ocimom

Contact a lawyer immediately since you have a written contract.