Am I too short to play cornerback? (High School Football)?

Ok i'm a sophomore guy in high school. I am weightlifting daily at school with my friends. I asked them what position I should play for football next year. They said cornerback or safety, but I really like cornerback because I tried out for it a couple of years back and I know the fundamentals of it. I didn't make the team though. They say that they recommend cornerback or safety because i'm not the tallest.

I'm only:

5'3

110lbs

Am I too short for cornerback and safety, or am I just too short in general? I can bench 145lbs if that makes a difference and i'm fast enough to keep up with receivers. What do you guys think? Does height even matter when it comes to football?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

It depends in what other talent/experience is in the team if you play the position or not.. If you have the talent and skills you can overcome the size factor.. Good luck.....

• Laura
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Personally, I do not believe that your best fit is at cornerback. Based on your height and weight, as well as your speed and bench press max, I believe that the best fit for you is at free safety. You have the ideal size for a high school sophomore free safety. My best advice for you is to work hard and perform very well in practice every day. In addition, what you need to do this (and every) offseason is eat healthy, exercise by doing weight lifting, and either jogging or going for a long run every day. If you do these things, you will get faster, stronger, and into better shape, which will greatly improve your chances of becoming a successful, top notch free safety in high school football, who could go on to play college football. By the way, your chances of playing college football depend on your performance in football during your junior, and especially senior, year of high school. If you perform very well in football during your final 2 years of high school, you will greatly improve your chances of getting recruited to play for a college football program in the future.

• 7 years ago

That may work if you're a freshman, or if you're in a 1-3A league, but in upper level school you're not even close. I played corner and I'm 6'2" 200lbs and that's about average. It doesn't matter how fast you are if you can't block passes or tackle receivers after they catch a ball. Height is one of the most important factors in football. Though it doesn't matter as much in most other sports. Maybe try out for baseball instead.

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

Can you jump? If you have a decent vertical leap and you can get airborne during a dead sprint you would be OK. To be honest though at 5'3 you got your work cut out for you. Have you considered running back? Man, you'd get lost behind your linemen and by the time the defense saw you you'd be in the secondary!

And BTW, yes, height does matter.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Tony
    Lv 4
    7 years ago

Unless your HS team is really good, you should be able to make the team, maybe not start though. You've also got a few inches left to grow, most likely. Go watch Rudy over and over until you're pumped up.

• 7 years ago

Heh, I'm 5'3 I weigh 114 and only bench 120. I play Slot and Corner. It's all about heart.

Source(s): I play Corner for 9th grade.
  • RM
    Lv 6
    7 years ago

to short in general. height helps

• 7 years ago

You're too short.

• 7 years ago

It's all about HEART baby

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.