Am I too short to play cornerback? (High School Football)?

Ok i'm a sophomore guy in high school. I am weightlifting daily at school with my friends. I asked them what position I should play for football next year. They said cornerback or safety, but I really like cornerback because I tried out for it a couple of years back and I know the fundamentals of it. I didn't make the team though. They say that they recommend cornerback or safety because i'm not the tallest.

I'm only:

5'3

110lbs

Am I too short for cornerback and safety, or am I just too short in general? I can bench 145lbs if that makes a difference and i'm fast enough to keep up with receivers. What do you guys think? Does height even matter when it comes to football?

Favorite Answer

I would talk to the coach to see what options you'll have. He may not even consider you for either of those positions... Good luck.....

• Cu Tie

Personally, I do not believe that your best fit is at cornerback. Based on your height and weight, as well as your speed and bench press max, I believe that the best fit for you is at free safety. You have the ideal size for a high school sophomore free safety.

My best advice for you is to work hard and perform very well in practice every day. In addition, what you need to do this (and every) offseason is eat healthy, exercise by doing weight lifting, and either jogging or going for a long run every day. If you do these things, you will get faster, stronger, and into better shape, which will greatly improve your chances of becoming a successful, top notch free safety in high school football, who could go on to play college football.

By the way, your chances of playing college football depend on your performance in football during your junior, and especially senior, year of high school. If you perform very well in football during your final 2 years of high school, you will greatly improve your chances of getting recruited to play for a college football program in the future.

Height can matter depends on urbwill to play but 5'3 110 is waaaaaaaaaaay to small for a DB , but if you really can bench 145 (which I think you cant sorry just way to heavy for your size) you might have a chance

Source(s): Better start putting some salt in you shoes if you wanna grow

You should do either boxing or wrestling. Trust me you will shine in those sports with your size and strength.

Source(s): Former High School Wrestler