Emmitt asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 7 years ago

Is 500 calories a day good for a 14 year-old?

I'm a 14 year-old male who is around 5'6. Two weeks ago, my weight was 186. Now my weight is 173. I have been taking my calorie intake, and i only eat 500 calories a day. the only exercise during PE at school. My friends say this is a bad thing? Is this bad? or good?

Best Answer

No. It really isn't. It's probably best to talk to a doctor, especially if you're trying to lose weight.

But understand that calories are energy and your body needs them to survive.

Given your height, your weight, and your age, you should consume 2136 calories per day to maintain your current weight. To lose weight, you need at least 1708. AT VERY MINIMUM, 1383.

If you are trying to lose weight, then consider this: getting only 500 calories per day, especially if you're active, will have extremely negative effects on your body and put your body into starvation mode. In starvation mode, your body will store ALL of the calories that you do eat as fat so while you may lose weight, it's not going to last.

Seriously, please read this: http://www.livestrong.com/article/247609-the-effec...

Very bad...I did the same thing and it almost messed me up very bad. Do not let your body image control every thing you do.

If I were you I would eat 3 healthy meals every day and exercise regularly. If you don't eat enough your body goes into staving mode and stores all the food you get as fat plus it slows down your metabolism and when you do eat enough your body can't process it. If you eat 3 meals a day your body can increase it's metabolism and you can lose weight. No junk food, fast food, soda, or candy. Exercising also increases your metabolism.

I am 15 and am 5' 10" and weigh 110lbs. gender:M

Because of what I did I'm underweight and have major problems...I did the same thing you did and trust me, you will reap the consequences.

P.S. Swimming and weight lifting are great ways to lose weight but it won't happen over night so be patient and stick to it! I didn't lose weight when I was staving myself...I lost weight by eating healthy and exercising.

For you I wouldn't eat less than 1500 cals and no more than 2500 cals.

Remember: If your body is starving it eats muscle first then bone then organs then fat then you die!

Source(s): Personal experience

No this is extremely unhealthy. I'm 6 foot and when I cut my weight I eat at least 2500 calories a day. Stop trying to starve yourself to loose weight and start working out to loose it. Start running for an hour a day and eating like a normal person and you will feel 100 times better than before.

500 calories is not enough for your body. U are straving yourself. U need to eat 3 small meals a day with 3 snacks. Lots of water. Stay off sodas n sugary drinks. I would say about a 2000 calorie diet is well fitted for you. When your body goes into starvation mode your body starts saving your fats n starts eating off of your muscles. Do it the right way dont endanger your health and body. Work hard for what you want to accomplish. Stay healthy.

It is unhealthy to eat this little. At your age you a developing a lot and your body needs additional nutritants to correcting mature. Eating too little can stunt your growth! Eat as much a you feel fills you up, but no less than 1700 calories a day. Recommended is 2000

That's very unhealthy u need around 2000 calories a day to be healthy cause your growing !!!!

You should never eat less than 1500 calories no matter who you are

Not at all!!!! Please eat more. You are only 14 so you are still growing & need nutrients. Try to eat around 1500-2500 a day or so!

At least feel full and workout

its kind of a little