Would you pay for your news online? Why or why not?

The Daily Telegraph and Herald Sun websites have started charging people to access their online content. Would you pay to read your news online?

Websites that have introduced paywalls: http://y.ahoo.it/0FTvy

45 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 years ago
    Best Answer

Absolutely not.

I watch the news in the morning on tv when I'm getting ready for work. Most of it is garbage anyway. I pay attention to the weather and the financial news and any major headlines that I may find interesting.

If I want or need more information on anything else, I go to google.

• 7 years ago

No way. News is something that should never have a price on it, it's just websites and companies that are far too greedy. This is one of the main reasons why I use the Herald Sun website a lot less than what I used to, I only read full free articles on there, and any articles that do have a 'price-tag' on them, I just go to another website. You pay enough for actual newspapers let alone paying online as well.

• John
    Lv 6
    7 years ago

If I want to buy a paper I will buy a paper. When sites start to charge I think people will merely move to websites that don't charge (abc.net.au) and what will end up happening as there will be "less hits" there will be less revenue. Some may be tempted to take up the first "sweet heart" deal for he first month, but they will no see value for money.

The main reason is that people have in their minds and they subconsciously believe "the internet" should be free, has been free and people are not going to pay for it. Even though its cheap than the hard-copy, they expect to pay for if However people have an expectation that stuff off the internet is free and they are unlikely to pay for it.

They do so at their own peril.

• NO, it is too difficult reading news on a computer, you can't put a computer on the table to read while eating your breakfast!

Also, I am going to stop buying the Herald Sun on Saturdays after they boosted the price by 25% to $2. An absolute rip off the ACCC should be looking at! Now also every weekday paper is now not much thicker than the FREE MX during the afternoons.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 7 years ago

I might just once. Then make a note of all the companies that advertise in their paper and boycott them. I would write to the CEO 's of these companies and tell them that if they continued to advertise in The Daily Telegraph and The Herald Sun; then I would never use or buy their product again. I would also ask my friends to do the same. I wonder how long a newspaper can survive with no advertisements.

Source(s): My thoughts and personal view.
  • 7 years ago

No, I wouldnt. Paywalls on news sites are an insult considering that the pages also contain advertising.

There are plenty of other sources I can get my news from......with the added bonus that by not going to either the Daily Telegraph or Herald Sun's sites, Im also avoiding their biased political views.

• 7 years ago

Absolutely not. News should be given to us free of charge. We as the public should have a right to know what is going on without having to pay for it. Especially if it is online. The media only wants money, so I am not surprised at this. They exaggerate and ruin people's lives to gain big profits. Take for example all the suicides that have occurred. Very sad.

• Neil
    Lv 5
    7 years ago

Answer is no. I deleted "The Australian" bookmark the day it went behind the paywall. If a media organistaion can't survive on advertising - lets face it, news is just a bunch of adverts with stories wrapped around them - then they dont deserve to be in business.

Foxtel is classic case of a media organisation wanting its cake and eating it too. Foxtel is a subscription service i.e you can't watch it unless you pay for it. The wise folks at foxtel then decided to flood it with adverts. When I cancelled the service, foxtel kept calling me asking why i cancelled. I said "I dont want to pay for advertisments, i can get those on free to air". The fox guy told me i was using it wrong and should record everything and skip over the ads. Needless to say he didnt get it. The only honest newspaper in Australia is the Adelaide Advertiser" At least it knows why it's there!

• AJ
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

YES, contrary to basically everyone else who answered this question, I would be willing to pay for my news online because indeed news can also be received for free, but that depends on what kind of news. I live in a relative small city / area and LOCAL news is not widespread available throughout the net. I've therefore subscribed to the printed version of the local newspaper and would be willing to do so for the online version as well.

• 7 years ago

Um no... It's the Herald Sun and daily telegraph, I wouldn't read them for free. Pay-walls for news already supported by commercials... MORE BIG RED FLAG!

Source(s): Trying not to be a total schmuck.
  • 7 years ago

I certainly would not pay for online news. Ever. My problem is the pay site will be loaded with advertising at the same time as they are taking my subscription money - just like Foxtel. Also there will be no content on there that I couldn't get for free on the ABC or (for now) on the 7News websites.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.