What Book should I read next? any suggestions?

So I'm no amateur when it comes to reading, raised by a liberal English teacher, I've had my share of literature--Woolf, Camus, Steinbeck, Twain... But I'm looking for a new book to read this summer. I like beautiful writing, philosophical novels, dark themes, absurdism, gay, reflective, madness, wonder, magical realism, southern... Any suggestions?

Favorite Answer

Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy, Ulysses by James Joyce and The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald.

• Kelley

These are all novels that have stayed with me in some way. Some just because they were beautiful, some because they were horrific. There's madness and wonder and some magical realism along with a little philosophy and some dark elements. A few of them just made me look at the world a different way.

Galore by Michael Crummey

Atonement by Ian McEwan

Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell

Infinite Jest by David FOster Wallace

Absurdistan by Gary Shteyngart

The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery

American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis

Life After Life by Kate Atkinson

Lost Memory of Skin by Russell Banks

The Night Birds by Thomas Maltman

We Need to Talk about Kevin by Lionel Shriver

Replay by Ken Grimwood

The Diving Bell and the Butterfly by Jean Dominique Bauby

Caucasia by Danzy Senna

Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress by Dai Sijie

The Last Brother by Nathacha Appanah

Hope it helps :)

• earles

Kane Chronicles and Heroes of Olympus. Each are with the aid of Rick Riordan who wrote the Percy Jackson books. They have the same suggestion of mythology in ultra-modern world. And Heroes of Olympus has many of the identical characters from Percy Jackson

An Inspector calls is a good book it is written in the style of a play but explores socialist and capitalist views that people had in 1912

DRACULA by Bram Stoker----is one of the best adventure novels I've ever read, it's gothic, but not all that Bela Lugosi crap. Also, Frankenstein, by Mary Shelley is quite good, and actually has an intriguing story. Give them a try-------------------------william

A time to Kill. It's a book about racial discrimination and it's in the south. You might have already read it but if you haven't it's a great book to read.

Fingerprints of the Gods

If you are serious about wanting to read something pretty dietz check out Gardens and the Warrior of Heaven.

Source(s): www.jamonmiller.com., click under the Garden tab for availability and to get more information

mein kamph by hitler its very bizare dark and has a hint of gay. You really get into the mind of a mad man. Who is part genious part mad slighly homosexual. Read it good read good horror i say lol