Tiana asked in Beauty & StyleHair · 8 years ago

How often should you relax your hair with short hair?

Im a black girl and my hair is cut short i relax my own hair and am wondering is every 3 weeks or so to often or should ii wait months to keep from breiakage thanks

Favorite Answer

ZERO times.

Your hair is the most fragile of all hair types. They snap & break easily. So you need more TLCs than thin hair. No chemicals. No relaxers specially! No heating styling tools. Finger comb is best or use a wide tooth comb. Do what Oprah & Michelle Obama have been, going natural, using plastic curlers to set their hair. Use oil or conditioner to keep them moisturized. Heat & chemicals are your hair's worst enemies.

The hair of many black women is very fragile and studies have demonstrated that normal brushing and combing the hair can result in breakage. Brushing your hair 100-times a day is a no-no for your hair. Only comb and brush your hair to style it. Also avoid rubber bands or other implements that can physically cut into and break the hair shaft.

Google: Hair Styling and Hair Care NOT THE SAME. 4-8-13.

She talks exactly like I preach! She's got good natural hair savvy!

Hair-straightening products are allowed to contain small concentrations of formaldehyde (0.2 percent). But several hair-straightening solutions have been found to contain well above the allowable limit. For example, one popular hair-straightening product that advertised itself as “formaldehyde-free” actually contained 6.8 percent to 11.8 percent formaldehyde.

Another example: Fourteen women, including two from North Texas and one from Houston, are suing Unilever, the maker of a product they claim caused permanent damage to their hair.

"It transforms frizzy, unmanageable hair into hair that's sleeker and easier to style," said the commercial for the Suave Professionals Keratin Infusion 30-Day Smoothing Kit, which is no longer being sold

When she began looking online for more information about the product, she said she found some people who said it worked, but more who said it damaged their hair.

She discovered a Facebook page devoted to angry consumers, and there are multiple postings on YouTube. I've been warning people about relaxers since 2009 and people are giving me thumbs down!

BTW: A variety of hair-straightening products used in professional salons can expose both hairdressers and their customers to formaldehyde. The results show that three professional hair-smoothing treatments labeled "formaldehyde free" can produce the cancer-causing chemical at concentrations above the occupational exposure limits set by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration. They tested four products: Coppola Keratin Complex Blonde Formula, Global Keratin Juvexin Optimized Functional Keratin, La Brasiliana Escluso Keratin Treatment with Collagen, and Brazilian Blowout Acai Professional Smoothing Solution. While ChemRisk tested four popular brands of hair straighteners, THERE ARE HUNDREDS on the market. Nov. 11-11

By contrast, beauty salon owners and stylists generally lack a scientific background and don't have a keen awareness of the danger of working with products that contain formaldehyde, experts say.

Chemicals can enter the body through the skin.

Source(s): Sources: Google FDA.gov & search for Hair Dye & Relaxers. Google: Hair Dye FAQ's Are Hair Dyes Safe? Watch: Good Hair a documentary by Chris Rock 2009 on BET or HBO. According to Tyra Banks, 80% of the black population are part of the billion dollar hair industry. Clips on youtube videos, also.

Relaxing Short Hair

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): relax hair short hair: https://tr.im/6kQl0

I am a black girl with short hair as well. There is nothing wrong with relaxing your hair. I relax my sides and back every two weeks which is the norm for short hair. I relax the top every month. With short hair you will need to relax more often to maintain the look. You are keeping your hair cut anyways so you shouldn't have damage. My hair is short by choice but it is healthy also.

That really will depend on the individual, some people can color there hair Blonde and appear very nice, the same with Dark. It all truly depends on your own skin tone

• Mark

if you have blonde hair this will naturally get bleached by the particular sun in the summer. There had been this guy in my class who also had golden blonde hair that has been a medium brown near the bottom. When he came back to college after summer vacation, it was practically platinum blonde!

the lesser the better but NO more than 3 or 4months if the natural look is for you. If you are like me and like to 'wash your hair everytime you are in the shower, get rid shampoos and just use conditioners (shampoo no more than once a month in that case). I also make sure all my hair stuff is sulfate, paraben,etc free. use moiturizures daily before oils. use heat least as possible and use silk cases (cotton dries hair)

long hair is nice but requires maintenance and u have to grow this out for a long time