The Boss asked in PetsDogs · 7 years ago

Someone adopted my dog. Am i in anyway responsible for her anymore?

So I put my dog online up for adoption and someone came and picked her up. At the vet she is under my name. She is not a registered dog. If she bites the new owner or something can I be liable in anyway?

Update:

@Helen I told her the dog is a bit nippy. She doesn't bite but rather just grabs your hand. If you jerk your hand away it might catch her tooth and rip her hand.

That's exactly what I told her. Or else I've never had a problem with her attacking another person or anything like that.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Ocimom
    Lv 7
    7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

You need to call your vet in the morning and tell them when you rehomed your dog, that you no longer own him and to please close out his file.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    7 years ago

Does she have a history of biting people? If she does, then if she bites someone, yes, you can be sued, especially if didn't reveal the bite history to her new owner.

But if she has no history of problems, you should be off the hook if something happens.

• 7 years ago

You surrendered the dog. It's no longer yours. The new owner are going to have to get this dog licensed so she'll be in the new owner's name. If you're concerned, phone the vet and tell them its no longer your dog and they need to dispose of her file.

• Noccie
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

No, you don't own the dog any more. You have no liability.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 7 years ago

No problem.

• 7 years ago

No

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.