If you had to have only one caliber,for both your rifle and your handgun,what would you choose?

The way I see it,you can go three ways with this.

1.A revolver and a lever action rifle.

2.A semi auto pistol and a semi auto carbine.

3.Something like an Ar-15 and a Kel tec PLR-16.

• C T M
    Favorite Answer

For me I already have several such setups as that.

Marlin 1894 44mag with a Ruger SBH 44mag.

Winchester Model 92 357mag with a S&W Model 28

Beretta Storm carbine 9mm with a Beretta 92FS, mine uses the same magazines!

Hi Point 40 Cal Carbine with an HKUSP40SW

1. A single action revolver and a lever action rifle, both in .44 Magnum.

Because of the power and recoil (in a revolver) factory loads are not wise. However anyone knowledgeable enough to handle firearms is usually a handloader, and can create loads for the specific purpose required. Anyone that thinks he knows how to handle a firearm and does not reload is usually as ignorant as one that thinks he knows how to operate a motor vehicle but cannot even get out of his own driveway without the assistance of an automatic transmission.

Source(s): Personal experience.
  • Andy

I already have one combo like that. An AR 15 and a Thompson Contender Super 14 in .223. But if I could only have one combo I guess I'd go with a Remington 700 in .308 and a Thompson Encore in the same caliber. I'd prefer a 30-06(got one of those) but the Encore in 30-06 is pretty vicious to fire in a pistol. The .308 is no picnic either though. A .45-70 combo would be sweet too.

• Jeff

Good 9x19 and 45 ACP carbines have always been a rare breed (I wish Marlin still made the Camp Carbine)

I have a pistol caliber combo that got a lot of use over the years.... one of several 357 mag revolvers I own coupled with a Marlin '94 Carbine

.357 magnum. At a gun store I saw a Henry lever action ($1,000!!!) carbine in .357.

That would sure be fun. And both could use cheap .38s at the range.

The catch is, a tube-fed rifle requires flat head bullets so the pointy end doesn't hit the primer in front of it.

In Bonanza TV show, Ben Cartwright had a carbine which used the same rounds as his pistol, : .44 caliber. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkeI8wVUDO4

Youtube thumbnail

I'll go with what I have.

A .357 Magnum Revolver and Lever Action Rifle in .357 Magnum

• Irv S

Well ... a 10mm would make a hellofoalot more sense

than these 9mm 'carbines I'm seeing.

Since they aren't making those though, I'd go with

the ,44 mag. in a revolver/lever-gun combo.

Where I live - Alaska - having a rifle in a normal handgun caliber isnt very realistic for hunting or protection.

I would go for a 338Win Mag bolt gun and the SSK single shot Contender in 338 Win Mag. With light loads and cast bullets in that pistol it should be tamed to 500 S&W like power.

• Mr.357

I would get a Remington 700 in .243 Win or .308 Win and a T/C single shot handgun in the same caliber..

Yes.

Although I would prefer the lever gun and revolver for a number of reasons I don't really feel like listing today.