?
Lv 4
? asked in PetsReptiles · 8 years ago

How long would it take for rattlesnake venom to kill you? And what are the symptoms?

Like, how would you feel? What kind of things would you experience with rattle snake venom in you?

How long would it take to die if you didn't get help?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

    It depends on the type of rattlesnake. Most rattlesnakes have hemotoxic blood, meaning it affects localized tissue. From accounts I've read it feels like being hit with a baseball bat by a pro baseball player, or like getting hit by a bus. Some are a little nuerotoxic and that would affect breathing and your heart. Nuerotoxic venom hurts worse. Hemotoxic venom, depending on where you are bit, could take hours to kill you if not treated with antivenom. Nuerotoxic venom would kill you much faster. The farther away the bite is from your vital organs, the more time you have potentially.

    Most rattlesnakes however, are not going to go out of their way to bite you. If left alone, they will generally leave you alone. Most bites happen to males between the ages of 18 and 35 and 50% of those bites occur when the male is intoxicated and are messing with the snakes. It is obviously possible to be bitten if you step on a snake without knowing it's there, but generally, you shouldn't have to worry about rattlesnakes coming after you.

    Source(s): I work with timber rattlesnakes (crotalus horridus) for a living, luckily haven't been bit.
  • It depends on the type of snake. There are several different rattle snakes, and each one has their own potency when it comes to the venom. as for the effects, some symptoms include nausea, dizziness, disorientation, paralysis, fainting, breathing difficulty etc. honesetly, the list goes on. Should you be bitten by a venomous snake, be sure to wrap a bad 2-4 inches above the area that was bitten. call 911 asap, and do not panic. If your pulse quickens, so does the venom that is going to your main organs. do not drive if you can help it. call an ambulance, have someone take you, but weigh your options. you don't want to go into paralysis, or lose consciousness. Always get medical attention, just in case of misidentification. Pay attention to the color, length, width, shape of the head, the pupils of the snakes eyes, and any special characteristics of the snake that bit you, try to take a picture, but do not try to kill it or capture to take it with you. that's just a waste of time. :)

  • 8 years ago

    It really depends on the type rattle snake. With some you will die fast other times it will take a while. You should always get treatment right away. So I can't really say how you will feel, but you would feel sick, its not a fun or easy way to go.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.