. asked in Science & MathematicsBiology · 7 years ago

Question about blood types?

Hello, I donated blood recently a few weeks ago and today I recieved my blood donor card in the mail and it said my blood type was B+. I don't get how that is possible because my father is A+ and my mother is O+ . Can someone explain how blood types work to me?

I feel like a lot of my life doesn't make sense now....thanks everyone for your help. :(

Favorite Answer

That's odd..

For you to be a B+, your dad either had to be a B+ or AB. Because your mum's an O+.

• ihde

Blood Type Questions

For a refresher, there are 4 blood types: A, B, AB, and O+.

Many pregnant women carry a fetus with a blood type different from their own, therefore, your blood type would have nothing to do with your mom's blood type.

This is going to take some explaining.

There are three blood genes: A, B, and O. (I'm going to ignore the + and - part of this.) A and B are dominant, and O is recessive. You inherit one blood gene from your mother and one from your father. The combination of genes determines your blood type. There are four possibilities: A, B, AB, and O. Here's how it works:

A + A = A

A + O = A

A + B = AB

B + B = B

B + O = B

O + O = O

So I guess the clinic got it wrong OR you inherited a type from your ancestors who had a B. If your father was totally A with no other change, then you probably would've inherited it.

• Sara

I suggest you get your blood retested or check with parents to be sure (tell them your blood type). If your mom is O+, then you most likely should have gotten O, O is dominant. Or you should have been an A+ from your dad.

If your dad was A+, it is possible that he is actually a AB+ (or one of your parents is maybe not your bio parent), which is where you could have gotten the B from. Since both parents have the Rh factor of +, then that is why you you are +.

Parent 1+parent 2=child

A+O=A or O (you should either be an A or an O, unless one parent is not you bio parent or you were adopted).

A+A=A

A+B=AB

B+O= B or O

B+B=B

B+A=AB

O+A=O or A

O+B=O or B

O+O=O

A can only donate to A and AB types. B can only donate to B and AB. AB can donate to A, B, and AB. O can donate to A, B, AB, and O.

Recipients: A can only receive A blood type. B can only receive B. AB can receive A, B and AB. O can only receive O.

Same concept applies to the Rh factor; + can only receive +, - can only receive -.

If people receive a blood type that doesn't match their own, their own body defense attack because of the antigen (body will recognize the antigens as foreign). Rh factor differences can be dangerous, especially for pregnant women.

Considering yours is different from either parents

Blood type A has the a-antigen. B has the b-antigen. O has no antigens. When they check to see what blood type you have, there is a serum they use.

First they have 3 slides (the ones they use in science experiments).

1st slide has a drop of the a-antigen serum.

2nd slide has drop of b-antigen serum.

3rd slide has the Rh factor serum (+ and -)

Drop of your blood is placed in each of those slides with the serum and mixed.

If clotting occurs in the samples (they look like little dots), then there was a reaction to the serum. If reaction occurred in both a and b antigen serums, blood type is AB. If it only occurred in one (a or b antigen serum), then your blood type is either A or B, If no reaction, then blood type is O.

If clotting occurs in the Rh factor slide, then your Rh factor is positive (+). If no clotting then you are Rh negative (-).

Source(s): MA/CPT Nursing student
  • Tamara

Based on the descriptions and my honest choice [usually biased] I fit AB and O with none of the negatives though my confidence may be perceived for arrogance Sun - Aquarius Moon - Aries Again bias from selection :/.... people choose what they choose and it may not be the truth also only 4 types... Dunno my actual blood type :/... but I wouldn't be surprised if it was AB or O... though that is 50% chance combined If I had to fit each to an element O = Fire or Water B = Fire + Sag + Pisces maybe Water AB = Air or Earth definitely A = Earth... specifically Virgo.... Also Fixed Signs and Water signs, probably fixed Water too These descriptions are a bit too much of each sign and not hard wired into a clear decision But again like the previous question I would say if someone had like a setup with Cancer sun Scorpio moon and lots of water with no Air and then "Got" [Chose] Sanguine... I would be like duuuuuuuuuuuude.............BS!!!!!!!!!!... Liar!! Unlike other people I'm not politically correct, I'm honest... And astrologers don't like working backwards, or saying a sign isn't more of "this, or 'that" ... I have no interest in doing that especially if it's the truth....

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Question about blood types?

Source(s): question blood types: https://tr.im/Pg3mo

It fascinates me that knowledge of blood types is relatively recent (100 years). I have no short and sweet explanation to offer, but here are some links that can start an in-depth understanding of blood types:

I think the clinic got SOMETHING wrong. It could be either your blood group that they detected wrong OR your parents'. As far as I know, we have these alleles for blood groups: IA for blood group A, IB for blood group B and i (aka IO).

In our body, we have two alleles for every trait. Here, i is recessive meaning if ANY of the other alleles (IA or IB) are present along with i, i gets suppressed and IA or IB is dominant and shows on you as blood group A or B. So, if a person has to have blood group O, then the only possible combination of alleles can be ii. Only in that case, the person would have blood group O. So according to your information, your mom has ii. Your dad can have either IAIA or IAi (because in both the cases, A would show on him). So the cross between your parents would be:

Case I: IAIA X ii or Case II: iIA x ii

From Case I, you can have ONLY blood group A and your genes would be one IA and one i (one from your mom and one from your dad) making you iIA.

From case II, you many have either ii (blood group O) or iIA (blood group A).

So according to the information you provided, the only two blood groups you can have is A or O. Please try asking for a recheck. :)

Hope I helped and did not get too technical.

Source(s): Aspiring Biology major :)

That's not possible, you must either be O or A. (Unless they made some mistake.)

It is possible that you are adopted. Ask your parents.

Also to someone who answered that her parents are AB and A but she is O, she is probably also adopted.

Science never lies!

Source(s): http://www.canadiancrc.com/paternity_determination... Here are two helpful charts!

Since blood types are only a several(only A+, A- ,B+,B-,O+,O-, AB+, and AB-) it is very possible for odd mixtures to happen. Example my mother was A- and my father AB+ I turned out to be a O+. very odd isn't it?

Source(s): hope this helped, experience was all.