working hours without a break?

my 24 yr old son started working 2 weeks ago in a restaurant kitchen,he works from 10am to 10pm with no break what so ever every day and some nights he is not finished until 12 midnight,he will not even get paid for the extra 2 hours at night,he is shattered but scared to ask his boss for a break as they all work that hours and nobody will tell the boss,what can he do he is scared he will lose his job

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

ive worked at places like that, the crew says they take breaks while they are working which is BS!!!!

i would either file a complaint with the labor board, bec this is illegal. most companies will tell employees they have to punch out (unless salaried) for their breaks to track breaks.even if salaried, he is entitled to leave for a break.

then, i would look for another job and quit. sounds like a retail/commission job?? soooo familiar

• Judy
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

Where is he? In over half the US states, no breaks are legally required, so that part is very likely legal.

But legally he must be paid for all the hours he works, so if he works until midnight they are required to pay him for those hours.

• 7 years ago

He either needs to say something and be prepared to find a new job, or he needs to continue to complain to you about it and have nothing done.

• 7 years ago

he should try it slow at first and just ask for his break when he feels like he needs one and also ask what time he can take his meal break. the employer should have advised him of the rest and meal breaks, they MUST ALLOW BREAKS. Depending on what state you are in, you should call the state dept of labor and ask for the state laws on breaks.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 7 years ago

sue them, make a complain, call the company, QUIT

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.