Would you ever touch a drill sergeant's/instructor's hat?

I've heard stories from guys that served and I'm heading to basic in a month. Me, I would be too scared to touch a drill sergeant's hat. One story is, that a drill sergeant would drop his hat intentionally. Tell a recruit to pick it up. If he doesn't he gets smoked, if he does pick it up he still gets smoked for touching it. Anybody that served, have you seen this or heard of it in basic or boot camp?

Best Answer

Actually, I was instructed to pick up a Drill Sergeant's hat once. It was during PT, and he had us running all over the place doing grass drills.

Afterward, he said, "Private Provost, go get my brown round." I did and gave it to him and then returned to the formation. No smoking of me was incurred.

Source(s): US Army Veteran

Drill Instructors Hat

It has been awhile. But I don't recall EVER seeing a drill sergeant not wearing their hat. Except of course in PT uniform. I certainly never saw one drop their hat. There will be plenty of occasions in basic training where you will be "set up for failure". You will be given an impossible task they know you can not complete, or at least not in the allotted time. This is an excuse for extra PT. Because when you're in basic you NEED extra PT. Otherwise 1 hour a day for 8 weeks isn't enough to get you in shape. They don't need to play silly games like that to do it though.

The story sounds plausible to me. Don't touch the hat. Ever.

This is 2013 not 1963.

Don't expect to see what the movies and TV shows give you. It's fake. You are expected to be an adult, act that way and you will be treated that way. Don't? you will be sent home as a failure.

That is very old and not allowed anymore.