How to put this into Standard Form?

I know how to put number in and out of standard form, I did it like last year. But I have no idea how to put is, as part of an equation, into a calculator?!

Lets say that x'y represents x to the power of y.

For example,

"The speed of all electromagnetic waves in a vacuum is 3.0 x 10'8 m/s.

The wavelength of the microwaves used by mobile phones is 34cm.

Calculate the frequency of these microwaves."

I get that it is going to be 3.0 x 10'8 divided by 34.

What I don't get is how to put it into a calculator? Like, why would it not just times 3.0 by then then divide that answer by 34? Surely that's not right, because in trying that I got 8,823529.412

Or is that right?

Could someone dumb it down for me please?

Many thanks for all of you who give answers!

• DaveWH
    Favorite Answer

A couple of points first. If the wavelength is given in cm YOU MUST CONVERT THEM TO METERS before using them in any formula. This is a very common mistake. Secondly, why bother putting the powers of ten into your calculator? Its not necessary. What I , and a lot of others, do is to work out the other numbers, and most of the time, the powers of ten can be worked out in your head!

Eg

(3 * 10^8 * 1.6 * 10^-19) /( 2.36 * 10^20)

We have

3 * 1.6 / 2.36 * 10^8 * 10^-19 / 10^20

So, plug the numbers in as normal, the powers of ten you can do in your head using the laws of indices.

10^8 * 10^-19 * 10^-20 = 10*8 * 10^-39 = 10^-31.

The 'regularly happening type' for an imaginary type is i*b the position i is the imaginary unit (sqrt(-a million) and b is the importance of the imaginary fee expressed as a 'commonly used' (or authentic) fee. The i is often written first to 'alert' the reader that what follows is an imaginary fee. also, in electric powered engineering, the j is often used for the imaginary unit on account that a decrease case i is used for instant modern. remember that sqrt(a*b) = sqrt(a) * sqrt(b) so....... on your problem, aspect out the -a million from all the radicals and write the imaginary fee as i*(2*sqrt(40 9) + 3*sqrt(sixty 4)) and simplify it to i*(2*7 + 3*8) = i*38 Doug