A question about Mary becoming pregnant with Jesus?

No disrespect intended to religious people or their beliefs. I heard Mary was a child when God impregnated her. Is this true? Also, did she have a choice, or was it a forced pregnancy? I know it was 'immaculate conception.' But if it was forced... sounds a bit off to me. I know there wasn't such a thing a childhood back then. But if Mary was 13 or 14 she wasn't even properly developed.

I never stated anything as fact. I don't have a bible and don't plan on reading one, at least not in the near future. Whoever that was who randomly had a go at catholics, don't be so hate-full. I'm an atheist for your information and only heard this about mary and was curious. I haven't don't have a problem with what other people believe or what comforts them, people need to calm down a bit :-P

1) I heard Mary was a child when God impregnated her. Is this true?

No reliable source - like the Bible - mentions Mary's age at the time she became pregnant. So: no one knows. Some people guess - and their guesses have *very* weak foundations and are therefore *very* unreliable.

2) did she have a choice, or was it a forced pregnancy?

That Bible teaches an angel told Mary God's plan and that Mary agreed to it.

3) I know it was 'immaculate conception.'

A very common error. The term "immaculate conception" refers to the conception of Mary herself - not to the conception of Jesus.

4) I know there wasn't such a thing a childhood back then.

? Who told you that? Obviously that is not accurate.

5) But if Mary was 13 or 14 she wasn't even properly developed.

As I mentioned, we don't know how old Mary was when she became pregnant - but what in the world do you mean by the phrase "she wasn't even properly developed"? At what age is a woman "properly developed", and why do you say so?

- Jim, http://www.bible-reviews.com/

• lesiak

First-class answer Boston. I do know very little about genetics, little or no in regards to the bible. My query would be - if Jesus used to be an targeted copy of Mary - why wasn't he a lady? So the second Mary grew to become pregnant - used to be like another second in a human's life. The entire 'immaculate idea' factor used to be ordinarily a scandal, the bible-author frequently took the eye-witnesses debts out of context and simply ran with the story. They'd cameras there for the 'immaculate reception' and nonetheless haven't been capable to prove it without a doubt happened, and that used to be only like 34 years ago. Darn those beat writers! It used to be less complicated to quilt ones tracks again then though, no forensic criminologists, no internet, no legislation&Order: SVU, no paparazzi per se - these Flinstones-esque cameras with the jurassic-woodpeckers-on-stone-pills just failed to cut it. DOH! I just misplaced my credibility - leaping from side to side throughout ice a while. Oh good - the fantasy was once fun at the same time it lasted. If Mary felt something it used to be just a little heartburn.

• Seeker

Yes, Mary was likely young at the time, but culturally she was a full grown woman. God didn't exactly force Mary to bear Jesus, but she did humbly submitted to her God. We can't judge God's plan by Modern American Standards, for God would not have done what he did had it not been right. There was a childhood back then, but none must put culture into perspective, she was by cultural standards a woman, and yes Mary was developed enough to be the Mother of God.

In those days girls married young and she was most likely 16 when she carried

Jesus under her heart and became the new Ark of Covenant.

The angel Gabriel announced to Mary that she had been chosen to be the Mother of God because she was full of grace(full of the love of God) however, until she said, 'let it be done unto me according to your word' Mary had a free choice to say, no, if she had I am sure God would have brought His son into the world in another way. Nothing is impossible with God who loves His people.

Under the Hebrew Law - Torah - both a boy and a girl had their time in which became into the realm of adulthood. Mary was not an exception when she received the Holy Spirit and became pregnant.

And concerning the impregnation, the same way God produced a Man out of the dust of the earth, He produced the sperm that was implanted with the Life of His Only Begotten Son in it, inside Mary's womb.

Before Science discovered 'cloning' God had produced one off the rib of Adam and called her Woman. "Is there any thing too difficult for Jehovah?"

The only information I have concerning Mary's age at the time of conceiving Jesus was the Lost Books of the Bible which says she was 50 years old when he was crucified. That means she would have been 17 at conception which would have been appropriate age at the time.

She was of legal age, if that's what you're asking.

Yes, she had a choice. The angel Gabriel explained the situation to her, but in the end it was Mary's right and choice to decide whether she would participate or not. It's not like Leda and the Swan.

I thought the "immaculate conception" referred to St. Ann giving a virgin birth to Mary. That's silly, of course. If sex for a married husband and wife were evil, then there would have had to be an unbroken chain of virgin births going back to Eve.

• star

' Mary was a child '

the bible does not specify her age.

However, i believe that in those days, women get bethrothed ie. engaged first then get married.

' also, did she have a choice '

do you have a choice being born ... ? i regard this Q as dumb.

you are telling me that God needs your PERMISSION to make something out of you ?

' But if Mary was 13 or 14 she wasn't even properly developed '

i know my bible well. Pls show me WHERE in scripture does it say that mary was 13 or 14.

You are probably a catholic. I know catholics like to make up doctrines and in this case, stories ...

O i don't believe in apocryphal books, so they're out. I am strictly biblical.

The Bible does not tell us the age of Mary and because God is a loving father, it wouldn't make sense for him to use a child to give birth.

The Bible states that she was a virgin, not a child.

Luke 1:26-31 In her sixth month the angel Ga′bri·el was sent forth from God to a city of Gal′i·lee named Naz′a·reth, 27 to a virgin promised in marriage to a man named Joseph of David’s house; and the name of the virgin was Mary. 28 And when he went in before her he said: “Good day, highly favored one, God is with you.” 29 But she was deeply disturbed at the saying and began to reason out what sort of greeting this might be. 30 So the angel said to her: “Have no fear, Mary, for you have found favor with God; 31 and, look! you will conceive in your womb and give birth to a son, and you are to call his name Jesus.

Matthew 1:22-25 All this actually came about for that to be fulfilled which was spoken by Jehovah through his prophet, saying: 23 “Look! The virgin will become pregnant and will give birth to a son, and they will call his name Im·man′u·el,” which means, when translated, “With Us Is God.” 24 Then Joseph woke up from his sleep and did as the angel of Jehovah had directed him, and he took his wife home. 25 But he had no intercourse with her until she gave birth to a son; and he called his name Jesus.

Is this reasonable? Surely it was not impossible for the Creator, who designed the human reproductive organs, to bring about the fertilization of an egg cell in the womb of Mary by supernatural means. Marvelously, God transferred the life-force and the personality pattern of his firstborn heavenly Son to the womb of Mary.

Source(s): BIBLE
  • knera

She was old enough to be getting married, because she was engaged to Joseph at the time that the Spirit came upon her. God knew that she was ready for the job that He gave her (giving birth to and raising Jesus). He isn't one who would do anything to hurt any of us. There was no "choice" the way that society says back then. You would get married and have children. There was no abortion or birth control back then. She was willing in her heart and God knew this. He knows the end from the beginning. He knows what is in each of our hearts and what decisions we will or won't make.