Airplane ifr to helicopter ifr?

i have my helicopter private im gaining hours trying to get an airplane private now if I get my ifr in the airplane ifr after airplane private how difficult is it to get in the helicopter ifr after and what are the steps and any advice on if im making the right choices or if I should change my plan

right now its heli private-airplane private-airplane ifr-heli ifr-heli commercial

• Apollo
    Favorite Answer

If you want to fly both airplanes and helicopters, I believe your plan is the best way. The initial instrument is 40 hours and the add-on is 15. Keep your eye on the 50 hour cross country PIC requirement for either instrument rating, and try to make most of your IFR training flights also count as cross country.

I trained some airplane pilots for their helicopter IFR, and it was never a problem at all. There are some regulatory/procedural differences between helicopters and airplanes, such as weather minima, so pay attention to those. You may chase the needles a bit when you hop in the helicopter because the controls are different, but these are minor issues that I am sure you will sort out easily. I don't think I ever had anyone who did not finish the helicopter IR add-on at or very close to the minimum time.

Some people have done 25 hours in airplanes, 15 hours in helicopters, then the checkrides more or less back to back. This is cheaper than 40 in airplanes plus 15 in helicopters. Consider this if cost minimization is your highest priority, but know that it's pretty hard to be that perfectly efficient when hopping back and forth. You will probably need a few extra practice hours here and there, especially if it has been a long time since you flew helicopters. The good news is that IFR is where there is enough similarity between airplanes and helicopters to have some synergy, so some folks have made it work.

Good luck!

1) If you have a private license already you ought to know where to find the regulations regarding licensing. Look it up the requirements in the regulations yourself.

2) Since you don't use punctuation, you appear to be exceedingly lazy. This is not a good attribute for a pilot to have.

Good luck.