Does Hebrews 6 mean an atheist can't repent?

This question has been bothering me for months and it's still bothering me,basically the verse goes like this."For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted the heavenly gift, and have become partakers of the Holy Spirit, and have tasted the good word of God and the powers of the age to come, if they fall away, to renew them again to repentance, since they crucify again for themselves the Son of God, and put Him to an open shame"

this bothers me because i recently because Christian again and I've been finding it very hard to repent.Also please don't say a bunch of lovey dovey things like jesus loves me and stuff because it won't work.I would like scriptural evidence that an apostate can repent

Update:

Also if it just meant apostates that never come back and not all apostates,then the verse should say "it is impossible for MOST people who fall away to repent.So please don't give the answer "it just means the ones that don't come back" because i think it applies to all of them

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Tiger
    Lv 7
    7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

@Daniel, mail me

For an Apostate it is impossible. Hebrews is written to three groups of people. One of these groups is potential Apostates. They saw the miracles the Apostles performed in Jesus name. They are intellectually convinced. They have had a touch of the Holy Spirit and are about to say yes. Something holds them back. Most likely the fear of persecution and getting un-synagoged. That is why this strong warning.

They who have seen the light and reject it, known the truth to its fullest and turn away, can never be saved. God has nothing more He can say to them to turn them. All that is needed to say, is said. This set for using the strongest words possible to try to turn such people the right way. These kind of people will get the hottest Hell together with Cain and Judas.

MIMI

• Login to reply the answers
  • 7 years ago

I can not say I've even noticed this before. But I know of another statement Paul made that is the opposite of what Jesus said himself. So I would say- see if you can find Jesus agreeing or disagreeing with this. Sometimes these letters to certain places are focusing on a certain person or people, not all.

In Matt. 5:17-20 Jesus states that he is NOT here to start a new religion, but to fix the Jewish one and requires us to obey ALL of the Commandments (613) That God gave to Moses. Jesus only says to stop the Kosher commandments later on, after he had died. Not all the others that have been dropped. In the New Testament permission to drop lots more commandments come from Paul

Source(s): Bible
  • BJ
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

That there is such a thing as unforgivable sin the Scriptures clearly show. Said Jesus Christ on one occasion: “Every sort of sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the spirit will not be forgiven.”

In a similar vein one of his followers wrote: “It is impossible as regards those who have once for all been enlightened” fully, “but who have fallen away, to revive them again to repentance, because they impale the Son of God afresh for themselves.” “If we practice sin willfully after having received the accurate knowledge of the truth, there is no longer any sacrifice for sins left, but there is a certain fearful expectation of judgment.”

another Bible writer says, “there is a sin that does incur death,” and for this we are not to pray.

Of course, only God himself who is the Judge knows whether a certain Christian has committed the unforgivable sin or not. But more likely than not, the very fact that the Christian is so concerned and deeply disturbed about it is an indication that he has not committed the unforgivable sin, especially so if he is overwhelmed with grief and is repentant about his sin.

A brief consideration of Scriptural examples of unforgivable sins and sins that were forgiven should prove enlightening and comforting. From these it will become apparent that it is not so much a matter of what kind of sin it is as it is the motive or heart condition, the degree of negligence and willfulness involved that determines whether it is forgivable or not.

These examples show that it is the one who willfully makes a practice of sin after he knows the truth whose sins are unforgivable. Helpful also should be a consideration of what one who has stumbled into sin can do to regain his spiritual equilibrium or balance

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

The first thing you must get straight is *to whom* the bible is addressed. Portions of the bible are addressed to Jews, gentiles, or the church of God, or subsets of those groups. You can read the other sections and learn from them, but they do not apply to you if they are not addressed to you. For example, the law of Moses only applied to the tribes of Judah, Benjamin, and Levi. Other tribes, gentiles, and Christians are not bound by OT law. This chapter is explicitly addressed to Hebrews. The books addressed to Christians are Romans through 2 Thessalonians. Revelation to St. John is addressed to Jews. Gospels are a record of Jesus, a Jew, speaking to other Jews.

Read the bible from Romans to 2 Thessalonians over and over until you start to remember what it says. That is the part that applies to Christians. Keep reading until you start to notice it says some things that are different from what you have been told it says. Keep reading until you figure out that the bible is more reliable than those people who told you different things. Here is a book to help you study the bible. It's a free download and you can buy a hard copy at any bible book store.

http://philologos.org/__eb-htetb/ "How To Enjoy The Bible"

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • John D
    Lv 6
    7 years ago

The Bible is filled with contradictions, so there are really only two choices:

1) "Adjust" the Bible to avoid the conclusion that it's not all true. Claim that very clear verses don't actually mean what they say, but what you'd like them to say.

2) Take the Bible at face value, and admit that it is not possible for it all to be true.

• 7 years ago

no it is not saying that

any one can repent and be saved

a person who claims to be saved but then leaves was never saved in the first place

John 2:18-19

King James Version (KJV)

18 Little children, it is the last time: and as ye have heard that antichrist shall come, even now are there many antichrists; whereby we know that it is the last time.

19 They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would no doubt have continued with us: but they went out, that they might be made manifest that they were not all of us.

• 7 years ago

If you're a Christian, why do you care? You're not going to hell anyway.

If you're an Atheists, why do you care? Repentance is a lie anyway.

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

Matthew 18:21-22 Micah 7 18-19. The list goes on and on and on and on. Your Father in heaven clearly shows His mercy and grace throughout the bible. God Bless

Source(s): Jesus saves
  • 7 years ago

No, you blockhead- only those who KNEW THE TRUTH and THEN fell away, cannot BE RENEWED by CHRISTIANS.

WE cannot preach to someone who knew all the facts, and STILL backslides. WHAT are we going to tell them, that they don't already know?

It is not our business to judge, unless we are Perfect ourselves (Matt. 7:1-5), but every Christian is accountable to other Christians who find them doing things wrong (Lev. 19:17-18; Matt. 7:12-29j 18:15-200

• 3 years ago

genuine repentance is often welcome in Gods presence.The Bible says in Psalm 51:17, "...a broken and contrite heart,God does no longer despise".in case you relatively ask God to forgive you of your sins (for all of us have sinned Romans 3:23),ask the help of the HolySpirit to steer and direct you and immerse your self interior the flaws of God.With time (its no longer a speedy technique),you will get there yet in no way enable the devil to misinform you by potential of telling you that God hasn't forgiven you.examine the Bible on Gods forgiveness. Welcome back and God bless

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.