Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkVegetarian & Vegan · 7 years ago

one of the things thats stressing me out in life is my (parents) think wal mart food is healthy?

they buy alot of prosecsed packaged foods. the fruits and veggies are sprayed with pesticides there yet my (dad) says they are the same thing as anywhere else and are grown in the same dirt. which isen't true because palces like whole foods has more organic options then wal mart am i right? local markets are better then places like wal mart even though my dad dosent beleive me no matter what i say to him?

• ?
    Favorite Answer

Once you can afford to pay for the expensive organic stuff with the money you make with your own job, you can buy all the food you want and stop stressing.

Until then stop bashing your parents for putting food on your plate and putting up with your endless complaints. The food you eat may grow on trees, but the money with which your parents buy your food certainly doesn't.

• Miz T

I think that nearly nobody knows how healthy or unhealthy processed food and GMO food is. The wheat that's in the aisle of bread, the aisle of snack foods, the aisle of cereals, the cake mix/flour aisle, and the bakery aisle is GMO wheat, grown from a strain of wheat that was invented in the 20th century and never tested for human reaction. Turns out a lot of people are very sensitive to it and have gone on gluten-free diets to avoid damage to their bodies. You may want to search the Internet for information such as this: http://www.naturalnews.com/038170_gluten_sensitivi...

Most pesticide sprays have been tested and the ones that are dangerous for humans are well known. The Environmental Working Group (EWG) publishes an annual list of the 12 fruits and veggies with the greatest load of dangerous chemicals along with a list of veggies and fruits that are minimally loaded with dangerous chemicals. The list is called "The Dirty Dozen and the Clean Fifteen" and it's available as a download here: http://www.ewg.org/foodnews/

Meanwhile, you are right that stores that sell produce marked "Organic" are going to have products with less processing and pesticides. You can also grow some of your own. Tomato plants and pepper plants can be container grown if you don't have enough yard for a garden.

Edited to add:

I find it admirable that you are concerned about the healthfulness not only of the food you eat but also of the food the rest of your family eats. When I saw this on-line article, I immediately thought of sharing it with you. I hope it helps you educate your family.

http://butterbeliever.com/dr-oz-gets-schooled-by-8...

Sean, find out if there is a local organic co-op or farm near you and try to get a job or internship there. Do you have a farmers market nearby? If so, ask the farmers what their production methods are. Some of them don't use chemical pesticides or fertilizers, but they also don't bother with the cost and paperwork of getting USDA certified organic. Also, do you have a community garden nearby? They usually accept volunteer labor in exchange for a share of the produce. Best of luck!

I agree with the others. I would rather buy non-organic potatoes for my five- and two-year-olds than organic potato chips. Yes, organic MIGHT be better. However, in terms of cost, I go with the conventional. it's more practical cost wise. You get a job and buy your own food and see how quickly the organic eats your paycheck (pun intended). Also, you don't have other expenses-- rent or mortgage, utilities, luxuries like Internet you're using... (I know a legal adult who lives at home with her parents. She has a full time job. However, her retired parents pay for her food, Internet [which they don't use], utilities, the house is paid for... She does have a car payment, but her parents pay for the other expenses with her car-- including gas. It really irritates me when the girl complains about not having enough money, because she squanders it on things like clothes she does not need...)

When we wash produce we use vinegar, rub it and then run it under water while rubbing it as well.

It could be worse, your parents could not care enough to give you fruits and vegetables at all.

• Justin

Life must be so hard for you right now. If you want special organic foods then go out and get a job. Then you can pay for it yourself. I wish all I had to worry about was the food I ate. Heck I wish I could decide what foods I can eat, but I can't.

Source(s): Currently Deployed

Hey shawn, processed food IS crap. It drains your bodily energy, when food should give you energy.

As for organic. Sure we like to believe the farm that can afford the thousand dollar organic certificate is better than ma & pa farm. But in a lot of cases they are worse because they lie & they're more greedy. Don't forget organic is mass produced with same low quality standards. Walmart produce is crappy because they demand everything be unripe & tough so it has longer shelf life.

• mark

Organics aren't in my budget but I do try to avoid Walmart brands simply because I don't trust them. China will cut corners on anything. I refuse to eat foods made in China unless I have no other choice. I love Chinese cooking, so I do buy some Chinese ingredients but I always buy high end products and as processed as little as possible.

• Mocha

Sometimes people want to buy organic foods and then freak out by the price tag. Believe what you believe in, but leave him alone. Most likely, he's saving up for your college fund and is therefore being careful about his spending.

Without pesticides and other modern growing techniques, we couldn't feed our large population. Just learn to wash crap off.

And organic means carbon chemistry. If you find food that is made from silicon based organisms, you need to report that to scientific american because that would be an interesting discovery.

Instead of complaining about your parents and WalMart on a daily basis, get a job and buy your own food. That seems to be your only option.