promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Megan
Lv 6
Megan asked in Pregnancy & ParentingBaby Names · 7 years ago

How do YOU pronounce the girls name Calista?

I'm not sure which bit to put the emphasis on.. Help? If you could also say where you are from that would help! I'm in the midlands UK so it will just help me see if accent changes it :)

thanks

BQ - thoughts on the name?

Update:

Mark.. what? I'm asking this for myself for possibly naming MY child it. I'm not going to ask my unborn child how it's pronounced am i

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Ah don't you love silly answers such as Mark's!

Ok, so I am a writer, and I live in this really beautiful town, full of trees, ferns, rivers; it's gorgeous. And the town next to mine is called : Kallista. I'm naming one of the characters in my story Callista, as they are pronounced the same but with different spelling. It's pronounced: Kah-list-ah. (kah as in car but without the r) (List as in shopping list) (ah as in a sigh).

Whether you spell the name 'Kallista', 'Callista', or 'Calista', the name is a gorgeous one, and ironically enough means 'beautiful'. Also, I don't know how far into your pregnancy you are, but if it's not far there IS a chance of you having twins. If this is the case I would recommend the name 'Arabella' for the second child (if they're girls) because that also means 'beautiful', and I think it'd be sweet to have two kids with the same name meaning.

Okay, well, I hope this isn't an information overload. I hope that this helps you, and I hope that your child is everything you dream she/he will be. :) Good luck, and I hope you find the perfect name!

~P.s, I'm Australian, so my accent might change the pronunciation, but all the tourists who come by seem to pronounce it the same way as I do. ~

Source(s): An Australian Writer - Me! :)
    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    7 years ago

No emphasis.

Just like everybody in Hollywood pronounced Calista Flockheart.

• 7 years ago

I love the name Calista! It's a beautiful name, very sweet and Callie would be an adorable nickname too. I've always liked this name as it's uncommon but not too out there, 'trendeeigh' or 'yooneek' and it's meaning "The Most Beautiful" is a gorgeous name meaning to have.

It's pronounced as KAH-LIS-TAH

• 6 years ago

Barry

In Panama it's prounouced Cah-LISS-tah.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 7 years ago

Kl - liss - tuh or Cull - ist - uh

The C is pronounced like the C in cat

It seems to me the middle of the word is said slower than the rest. The Kl is rapid.

It's not a common name. I like it.

• 7 years ago

She was asking how YOU pronounce it, not how to google it.

I pronounce it Kuh-liss-ta, emphasis on the "liss". I'm from New Zealand.

• m
    Lv 5
    7 years ago

I'm from Manchester, UK, and I'd pronounce it cah-liss-ta (cah as in the ca in camel, liss as in lis in list and ta as in tap)

• 7 years ago

Ka-liss-ta.

Or

Car-liss-ta

I like the sound of that name, And the meaning. Seems that it means "Most Beautiful" :).

• Joey
    Lv 5
    7 years ago

Cah-LISS-ta

cah like cat, liss like list, ta like tap.

It's an interesting name, certainly not boring, but I don't like it....

• 7 years ago

kə-LISS-tuh

I'm from Melbourne, Australia.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.