Why do most teens hate science?

I know that this is very stereotypical, but when I asked a lot of my classmates if they like science, 95% of them said no. Why would they say no? Science is everything,

Favorite Answer

Science is something you have to put a lot of thought into to understand it, but people are to lazy to do it. To a lot of teens it's considered a norm to not like or to not try to exceed in subjects like math or science.

It also doesn't help the fact that popular teen shows depict teens not caring or trying in the subject and the "nerds" of the shows are scolded and looked down upon.

Let's suppose most teens hate science.

A good reason for that is that it is improperly taught.

Astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson put it nicely.

To paraphrase him, he said something like;

"Children are taught the enumeration of planets for example. Like, what is the fourth planet from the Sun? And they dutifully memorize 'My Very Educated Mother Just Served Us Nine Pizzas.' And they give the answer Mars. That's not science. Instead we(Hayden planetarium) group them by class with common characteristics like rings and storms and so on."

So, the problem is in the way science is taught. It should be taught in a way to ignite the intellectual switch in the minds of children, and not as some cumbersome and mundane duty.

I think this is true whether it is physics or biology, or any other area of science.

Okay, here's a life lesson for you: I'm a biomedical engineering major who greatly enjoyed science in High School, the biggest mistake I made(for part of my sophomore year) was carrying that stupid holier-than-thou "I'm special because I like science, why don't more teens like science?!" attitude.

Aight, I'm not messin with ya here, you need to learn that not everyone has the same interests, not even your friends, and that's OK. Science ain't **** if you don't have friends or social skills, so trust me and take a break from worshipping the subject lol

This is just a personal experience here.

So, in Science we were learning about the body. And then our sub starting talking about the brain's cord and how even if you couldn't think you would still live.

It was horrible. He started talking about a child who was born with no brain but with the brain cord.

He referred to the child as an "it" because "a human being is someone who can think and function on their own"

After class, one of my friends burst into tears because she had a cousin who was born like that and it really hurt her that the sub was referring to children like that as "it".

Science SUCKS.

Lol, even though Science is useful.

• james

i enjoy science very much and i am 16. i think this is just a steryotype not a real fact

Only because its hard. most kids won't say they like it, even if they do. teens are weird =)

but you can't prove its every teen. maybe its just your classmates.

Source(s): Im a Teen who LOVES science. :)
  • We get bored easily. Very very easily.

Source(s): im a teen

Cuz it ******* hard I also hate math!!