Differences between Australia and America?

Hi, I live in Sydney, Australia and I'm going to America in a couple of days. We're going to Route 66 and Los Angeles and Chicago. If you could could tell me what differences it is like in America. I know stuff like they have a bigger toilet and they drive on the right side. Also, do they have good television channels? Do they have the Simpsons or survivor because I think there American? Please answer?

• C.M. C
    Favorite Answer

Alexandria, yes to your questions. Also the toilets flush differently. Their hamburgers are not as god as yours, and believe me I have had hamburgers in Australia.

Keep safe and enjoy your holiday.

• Deb

I haven't been to the Mainland but the differences in Hawaii were interesting. Loved the soft drinks at Cheesecake factory and Outback steakhouse had free refills. At McDonalds chicken burgers were called chicken sandwiches. I always have trouble with Americans understanding me, there can be language differences. If you stay at a hotel leave the maids tip on the pillow, at least 2$ per person, they understand if you are a tourist you will get it wrong sometimes. The toilet is full of water, and no it doesn't splash upwards. Sometimes the shower/bath taps are confusing which button turns on which. Saw Billy Connelly do Route 66 on TV looks like quite an adventure. Have a great time.

I'm from the uk and I have been to Florida three times with family. You can turn right at a red light, the supermarkets are twice as big as they are in the uk and most likely Australia, there is a lot of cultural diversity with lots of whites blacks and Hispanics. Fuel is very cheap at I think 3.5 dollars per gallon. In the uk it is about a pound (£) and 80 pence per liter, portions in restraints are huge. My family of five ordered four regular sized garden omelette at ihop and two was engough to feed all of us. Inside of malls and shops is cold because air condition is at the maximum setting. On tv they have more gaming channels, BBC America and Simpsons. By the make sure you buy coca crisps cereal it is the best cereal is have ever had. Petrol stations have subways inside them and you pay first before filling up. There are a lot of toll bridges on the highway so have money Prepared if you are driving. They have the best clothes shops like forever 21. Lots of water parks. Americans talk rather slowly compared to my scottish accent. The cars are hudge. I don't know about autralia but in the uk a bottle of coke has 500ml but in America most have 591 ml. Coke tastes different as they use high fructose corn syrup instead of natural sugar. It tastes better but it's more addictive. Hope this helps bro

Source(s): Been four times. Once to Georgia three to florida

Most Americans live in small country towns, listen to country music, and praise Jesus. You have to tip everybody for absolutely everything, for an Aussie this is very confusing. They use imperial measurements, and food servings are enormous. The food is nowhere near as good as ours and there is an incredible selection of fast food drive throughs, but they do good ribs and chili. The scenery is brilliant. Southern California around San Fransisco and San Diego is most like Sydney.

• O

well while you were getting other answers I was busy trying to find something that explains things

apart from easy ones like

biscuits are cookies, sweets are candy, cordial is powder in a sachet, tomato sauce is ketchup

oh and the american chocolate do not bother ours is much much better

I found a couple of links for you that explain the differences

very interesting reading... !!!

http://pamperedhousewife.wordpress.com/2012/06/11/...

http://www.travbuddy.com/travel-blogs/13795/Differ...

http://www.luke.maurits.id.au/writing/cultural-dif...

My first task upon arriving in the United States was to rent a car. After signing paperwork, an attendant gave me the keys. “It’s all ready, sir,” he said.

I strode over to the shiny new car, opened the door—and to my surprise—did not find what I was looking for. “Where’s the steering wheel?!” I thought to myself as I opened the passenger door.

Welcome to America, the land of left-side steering wheels! While navigating a vehicle on the opposite side of the road was a daunting prospect for an Australian, I casually tried to act as though I meant to open it, and then coolly strutted around to the right side—err, I mean, the left!

As I would soon discover, driving was not the only difference between my home country and the United States. I often travel to the United States on business trips and have learned that even though these two nations have their own distinct characteristics, there are many similarities as well.

Marriage is under assault as never before. Will it—can it—survive? Adultery is exploding—why? Traditional home and family life is blurring. The once-typical family is becoming extinct—why?…

Read Now

Driving in America

Back to my first time in America: after driving off in my rental car, it became clear that American road networks are much bigger and more organized than in Australia. I found the North-East-South-West and sequential numbering systems helpful for navigating—if you know your bearings.

Source: Thinkstock

Because I live in the “land down-under,” which is literally on the opposite side of the globe, I would sometimes take the wrong direction, certain I was right.

My number one rule for driving in America is to always keep the middle of the road on the same side of the car as the steering wheel. This has helped me.

While driving in America became less of a challenge with practice, applying math was a different story. Converting everything from the British system of units to the metric system—especially Fahrenheit to Celsius—required constant brainpower.

Few equate Christianity with having a true zest for life. You can be filled with joy and happiness! In fact, God intends you experience the abundant life.

Watch Now

The idea of changing Fahrenheit to Celsius at first seemed simple. Subtract 32 from the Fahrenheit figure, multiply by 5 and divide by 9—relatively easy, right? Not exactly!

Source: Thinkstock

In my experience, it is best to remember a few key temperatures, such as 32 degrees F = 0 degrees C (freezing), 70 F = 21 C (comfortable), and 100 F = 38 C (uncomfortable).

Other common conversions one needs to travel between Australia and America are: 1 inch = 2.54 cm, 1 meter = 3.28 feet, 1 mile = 1.6 kilometers, 1 gallon = 3.78 liters and 1 kg = 2.2 lbs.

The Internet provides easy access to conversion websites, but memorizing a few conversions is handy, as you never know when you will need to perform “international math.”

Religious Values

Another difference between the two countries that I have discovered in my travels is that Americans are noticeably more religious than Australians. According to the CIA World Fact Book, the United States is 51.3 percent Protestant, 23.9 percent Catholic, and 4 percent claim they are “none.” Australia, on the other hand, is 25.8 percent Catholic, 27.4 percent Protestant, and 18.7 percent consider themselves to be in the category of “none.”

On one occasion, while exploring the States, I was approached by someone who asked, “Do you know Jesus?” The person who started the conversation then tried to offer me a small pamphlet promoting his religious beliefs, which I politely refused.

National Blessings

One simple fact of history is that nations are families grown large. In God’s Word, Ishmael is the father of most Arab nations. Also, Esau’s descendants gave rise to modern nations such as Turkey.

Unknown to most, though, is from where the American and British (this includes Australian) peoples arose. What family “grew large” to become these prominent nations today? Due to many proofs throughout history and the Bible, the answer becomes clear: these two countries are descendants of the biblical patriarch Joseph.

everything is bigger and better in America that's why Australians copy just about everything we do

• zaq77

Everything is bigger and better in America, that is why Australians copy just about everything we do.

They have orange cheese and all the food and drinks are loaded with unhealthy high fructose corn syrup, even the orange cheese.

Try to eat at Japanese places if you don't want to come home looking like a pasty blimp.