What are the tasks of a Registered Nurse?

Can someone give me a list of tasks and responsibilities of a Registered Nurse. For example I know they can disconnect feeding tubes, insert catheters, administer medications, draw blood, give IV's, changing sterile dressing. Can someone give me a list of what else are their tasks and responsibilities they have.

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Favorite Answer

Well, you have written a fair few. Other things nurses do are: help take part in handover (this tends to be the sister or the nurse in charge and they tell the nurses who are covering the shift how each patient was and what needs to be done.)

They feed the patients. Wash the patients - use hoists, take them to the toilets, and give them bed baths. They clean and make the beds. They help out in doctor's wards. Some nurses make up health care plans. They write paper work which takes a lot of the time, and good and clear English and hand writing has to be maintained. Writing in the patients' notes and kardex. Booking appointments, taking patients to appointments, talking to the patients, talking to the families, giving injections, preparing admissions and discharges, removing cannulas, doing observations (blood pressure, temperature, oxygen saturation levels and respiration levels), doing blood sugar levels, giving enemas, moving and handling, and do nurses rounds - talking to the patient every hour and making sure they are alright.

It all depends on where you work and your level of training and medication. Some nurses are trained in doing suturing (stitches) and inserting cannulas. To give IV's you need to work as a nurse first for 6 month then take extra maths tests and training to be able to do so. Some nurses are also mentors so they look and train student nurses and show them the ropes & take them under their wings.

Here this should be useful to you:

http://www.iseek.org/careers/careerDetail?oc=10017...

Source(s): Student nurse xoxo
    • Login to reply the answers
  • 4 years ago

Charlie C is proper. In addition, start iv traces, CPR, smooth the patient in the event that they go to the lavatory, be a patient's advocate, which means helping them prefer the remedies exceptional for them. You also have to understand lab values. It relatively is dependent what nursing "job" you be given. There are hospice nurses, surgical nurses, some work with Alzheimers patients. And yes, there is ALOT of bureaucracy! Laws specific to the state you get your liscence in might be covered in tuition. Nursing may be very difficult work, but you get again what you place in. You might have the vigour to aid others, which I think is profitable. Career sensible, if you want a transformation, you can switch to one more field, like if you happen to get burned out. There's continually something new to be taught, and i have under no circumstances emerge as bored! Nurses are and will invariably be in high demand, = extra money. However don't do it for the cash, or you're going to now not be truely pleased! Give it a are trying, that you may consistently exchange majors. Just right good fortune! Hope this helps you together with your choice!

• 7 years ago

In a nutshell,,,nurses are jacks of all trades, masters of none

get yourself a job as a healthcare assistant and see for yourself what nurses do on a daily basis

its also a good exercise to make sure nursing is the profession you seek

• 7 years ago

It's rather involved so I would suggest you look for a job description from an employer.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.