Is the reason our eyes are placed in front because it is more important to look ahead than to look behind?

• Eink
    Best Answer

uhmmm..............I think they're placed there on the face......to LEAD our sense of smell, or taste? (imagine stepping on something that grossly stinks)....(imagine not seeing what we put in our mouth) And......imagine guessing....who's kissing us? *lol*

Source(s): (that was FUN :D)
  • adrian

it is because we a predator and our earlier ancestors were most likely more aware of their surroundings than us. look at other predators then look at prey. Predators don't worry much about being attacked because they can fight for them selves but prey can't usually fend of predators when they get attacked.

anyway we have them on the front so we can find prey to kill, we wouldn't of needed to worry about attack even if we were still living in Africa because we made use of tools from natural materials so we almost always have(and had) an advantage over every other animal as we can easily scare of some of the more fierce predators and steal their kill so that would also be a reason... anyway Heres some example pics for you :)

Predator (notice the front facing eyes) http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_LxFWub0tBWs/SojpnvboHFI/...

Prey (notice the side facing eyes) http://ichef.bbci.co.uk/naturelibrary/images/ic/cr...

Well my sweet Venus if we are going to walk forward I sure would like to be able to see where I'm going rather than where I've been . Our eyes are in the front because that's the way our skull is shaped silly . I would also like to be able to see what I'm eating as well .

No, it's for binocular vision. We are a predator animal and need good depth perception which front facing eyes give us.

the real question is if our eyes are at the back does that make the back the front? o.o

It is actually because we are carnivorous, not prey.

We do not fear attack from behind, hence why a rabbit does have 360° vision (or thereabouts).

I wood think so.

Better seeing where you are going,rather than where you've been.

You can't change what's past,you can look for a brighter future.

binocular vision was one the biggest evolutionary advances that help man rule the world

I dunno, I choose to believe that our eyes are on the front of our face because if they were on the back of our heads, we would just look rather silly.

• Bear

What about the 'Minds Eye'?

• Lefty

Yes..that is true. We walk forward so naturally we want to see ahead.

Also true metaphorically.