What is an ssd? so lost?

im just curious about what it is. like i dont get when people get a ssd with only 64gb of memory when you need WAY more memory on a computer. do they buy a HDD with the ssd?

• asa
    Favorite Answer

ssd is a semiconductor based memory..just like your pendrive..its expensive but its very fast compared to HDD...so people buy 32gb/64/128gb of ssd and put the OS in it so that booting becomes faster...rest of the files they store in hard disk of bigger size..usually people who go for ssd get a hard disk too..ssd is just for speeding up everything

An SSD is a computer component in the hard drive category.

Hard drives are for long term storage. It's where your pictures, music, documents, and programs are all stored so you will have them even after you shut your computer down.

There are two types of hard drives: Hard disk drive (HDD) & solid state drive (SSD). Hard disk drives have physical disks inside (like small CD's) that spin around and hold information. A solid state drive has no moving parts, hence the name "solid state". This makes them much more durable and gives them longevity compared to an HDD. Solid state drives are also much faster, meaning you can write and read to/from the drive much quick than with a disk drive.

The SSD technology is relatively new (post 2000 timeframe), and it's not mastered yet. As with any new technology, there are tons of improvements to be made. This goes for the capacity of the SSD. The technology just isn't there yet to produce terabyte SSD's at a consumer-friendly cost. (although they do exist!)

You are right about 64GB not being enough space! Keep in mind though, there is also a thing called memory in a computer that is a completely difference piece of hardware, called RAM.

In my computer, I have a 96GB SSD that I installed Windows on, and then I have a 2TB HDD to install all my programs, store all my documents, and keep all my PC games. This lets Windows run a little faster than it would on an HDD.

an SSD is a Solid State Drive pretty much it is a better hard drive for laptops reason why is its smaller and it is much faster there have been many tests and the memory thing thats not including the memory thats already in your computer so its just fine

• VenuG

SSD is the short form of Solid State Storage Device. It is much faster than HDD and also costlier. By judiciously managing your storage device you will be able to manage with 64 GM of storage space.

A solid-state drive (SSD) (also known as a solid-state disk [1][2][3] or electronic disk,[4] though it contains no actual "disk" of any kind) is a data storage device using integrated circuit assemblies as memory to store data persistently. SSD technology uses electronic interfaces compatible with traditional block input/output (I/O) hard disk drives.

Read more......................

Solid State Device, like a flashdrive.