Why do Christians choose to picket certain sins and leave out the others?

I know things can get out of control here, but this has bothered me to no end. I am a Christian but I'm currently doing a lot of my own research after becoming an adult. It bothers me so much that people will picket outside about homosexuality and yet I drive by strip clubs every day and nobody has anything to say about that. Why? Why don't Christians picket outside the house of husbands who are cheating on their wives, or vice versa? Why do we always jump up to judge homosexuality but keep quiet about adultery? Well, I think I can tell you why- because there are pastors who have affairs and most people would rather keep quiet about it. Also, because it is NOT our job to do the judging and deep down I think you know that. Jesus hung out with sinners He didn't' seclude himself into a judgmental Christian safe-haven- and He DOES have the right to judge! Why are people so rude about other people's sin when they have plenty of their own? Most of all, how can you tell a person how he or she feels? I would never tell a person that being gay is a choice because I have never felt that way and have no experience in the matter. If I point at them and say, "You're wrong!" I'd have to point at every person drinking alcohol, having pre-marital sex, lying, cheating and so many other things. I don't have time for that. Mark Lowry said it best, "You hate your sin, I'll hate my sin, and lets love each other!" My sin is enough for me. Sinners can't judge sinners.

Sorry if I'm rambling, I get heated about this sort of thing.

"Picket" not "pick".

This is picketing: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Westboro_Baptist...

It makes me sick.

Mark h- that's another thing that bothers me. Nowadays nobody cares about strip clubs (at least in my area, I don't know about the east coast) and yet they get all fired up about homosexuality. I think it's because a lot of the men don't mind the clubs being there but HOLY COW if a guy hits on them it sends them running. People only speak out about sin that isn't their own so they can feel better about themselves. If you look closely "popular" sins change with the times, and if a sin is popular it's overlooked. If it isn't popular it's picketed and covered with angry mobs.

Bruce: if homosexuality were a choice do you really think people would CHOOSE to deal with the bullying it comes with? You can't choose what sin you're most tempted by. Me for example? I enjoy having a drink now and again. You can't choose to like wine, you either do or you don't.

Tiger- Thank you for my next point, "you cannot be a Christian and live in habitual sin." The thing is, most people Christians judge don't share their faith. I support gay marriage mostly because of legal issues. Just because a person is not a Christian doesn't mean they shouldn't have the right to share their partners health-care, ect. When we started America as a land of freedom we should have known this would happen. Freedom isn't picking and choosing what things you are free to do, it's being free to live however you want to unless you're hurting another person.

• Tiger
    Favorite Answer

@Edit Where do you get the idea about freedom? Not from the Bible, that is for sure. The only people that is "free" is a person that by the grace of God has fully dedicated his life to Him. Look at the Scripture for the truth, not any liberty laws that have long time since failed. We do not have a free will. How can we have that when the Bible say

Man’s heart is evil (Mark 7:21-23)

Sick Jer. 17:9).

Man is a slave of sin (Rom. 6:20).

He does not seek for God (Rom. 3:10-12).

He cannot understand spiritual things (1 Cor. 2:14).

He is at enmity with God (Eph. 2:15).

Supporting a sin is supporting Satan and his work in this evil world system. There is no "human rights", we just do not have anything good to give. Only to accept from the only one that is good, God. Calling yourself a Christian is your great hypocrisy. You are either with me or against me, Jesus said. Liberal theology with a sort of kind saving Christ that does not demand standing firm in His word only sends people to Hell. If "hurting" someone can make them think and reconsider, a soul maybe be won for heaven.

Homosexuality and fornication have always been the "big" sins. It is not without reason it is mention as one of the reasons Sodom and Gomorrah were destroyed. It is not worse than any other sin, in the matter that sin is sin, but in the matter it is sin towards your own and your "partner's" body. 1 Corinthians 6

18 Flee sexual immorality. Every sin that a man does is outside the body, but he who commits sexual immorality sins against his own body.

Sin is always a choice that each person have to stand and be judged for. You can not be a Christian and continue to live in habitual sin. That only shows you do not have the Holy Spirit to power you to live straight and in daily sanctification. We all sin, but a Christian never lives in sin. Our flesh is dead in Christ and we live by His grace.

MIMI

• mark h

No one ever puts lying on the ballot.

I mean not to oversimplify, but many sins just do not have the controversy you are speaking about.

The strip club example I think is a poor one, if you go back in your newspaper archives to the time that it opened, I think you will find Christian groups in your local community opposed it. In your case, they sadly did not win, and so you have that place to deal with now.

When I was a kid, I lived in a 'dry county' and every so often I remember alcohol sales made its way to the ballot. And each time, many churches and local organizations opposed it. Eventually it passed but I don't see how we can argue that Christians were ok with it passing.

And I do think a little bit of this is once a society has "moved on" so to speak, that is it embraces a sin like lust or gambling, or whatever, that community is going to sink a lot further before it comes back to a straight and narrow....if ever.

I mean once Rome fell, they did not call it the dark ages for nothing. It would have been nice if it were only a dark weekend or a dark summer, or even a dark decade but such is the way of the world. It is simple to tear down a building, putting one up is hard.

But you are completely right in one regard, fornication, adultery, lust, etc. are all every bit as sinful as homosexuality.

Having said that, I don't see a need to redefine marriage simply because people enjoy committing adultery.

Hope that helps.

• Bruce

First, you should keep in mind that the Westboro Baptists are not Christians. They are equal-opportunity haters.

All the things you mention are sins, but homosexuals have a vocal cheerleading squad claiming that it is not a sin at all. For example, some claim that homosexuality is not a choice, which would take it out of the category of sin; sin must be freely chosen to be sin at all. Thus, Christians have to report God's judgment on the sin of homosexuality. It destroys the physical body with disease and destroys the chance of heaven (see I Cor 6).

See the link for the consistent biblical condemnation of the deadly sin of homosexuality.

Cheers,

Bruce

You've gotten spoken a variety of actuality, Oberon. However I critically doubt that the day you are hoping for will ever happen. As long as people go into a church or other place of worship, hearken to the hate being espoused via that character who is meant to be preaching love and acceptance and now not questioning it but blindly following, then it's out of the query. So on they go, inserting their tough earned cash into the collection plate in order that these so-called guys of god can are living in luxurious whilst their minds are immunized in opposition to accepting common sense. Preserve up the nice work and let's do the whole thing that we can to promote education and deliverance from the evils of religion.

I say that a relationship isn't official until it has been sealed with a pact of marriage.That hot girl your girlfriend?Well you better marry her before I steal her!You see dude,a lot of Christians are hypocrites.EDIT.About what some people were saying about beer,Jesus said drink beer but not too much beer.

you cannot pick sins

The bible states that there is no big sin or little sin

All sins carries the same penalty and God will forgive you of all sins by confession and repentance.

everyone sins and Jesus christ is the only sacrifice only Once for our sins and forgiveness

Bravo. That's great. But be careful. Your Christian audience is going to land on you with both feet, and probably most of their responses will not have much to do with your posting. I found it refreshing to see a christian say to stop being judgmental.

• ?

Because we are humans, but you shouldnt judge others,leave that to God

some people are ignorant and refuse to listen sometimes to god. life is hard, people think yolo is the way to go, its not

Because many of them are hypocrites :P