Fez
Lv 4
Fez asked in Science & MathematicsChemistry · 7 years ago

What is the difference between hydration & hydrolysis?

I know that hydration involves the additon of water but these two terms confuse me.

What is the name of the ester with only two carbon atoms?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

"What is the difference between hydration & hydrolysis?

I know that hydration involves the [addition] of water ..."

That is the definition fo hydration, water adds to a molecule, either as H2O molecules (e.g., formation of a hydrate from an anhydrous compound), or as the components of water (H and OH) (e.g, the hydration of an alkene to form a saturated alcohol).

Hydrolysis involves the breaking of bonds in both water and the molecule, e.g., the hydrolysis of an ester to form the carboxylic acid and alcohol.

"... What is the name of the ester with only two carbon atoms? ..."

That's a little ambiguous. The ester with a total of two carbons is methyl formate, HCOOCH3.

The ester with two carbons in the acid and two carbons in the alcohol (four carbons total) would be ethyl acetate, CH3COOCH2CH3

• 7 years ago

The names

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

Hydration is including water, often with an acid and/or mercuric ion catalyst. Dehydration is reacting with a centred good acid with some warmth. Hydrolysis separates water extraordinarily into hydrogen and oxygen. The opposite is merely permitting them to react lower back in a similar container through fact hydrolysis demands keeping apart them into completely separate packing containers. Condensation isn't a reaction, this is a actual replace the place gaseous water debris at a low adequate temperature save on with the exterior of a container. needless to say, the opposite is evaporation.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.